• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant leak

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
There’s is a leak at the bottom of the thermostat housing and top of the water pump and the smell of antifreeze, this started when I replaced the the thermostat housing for one the eBay crap for high flow coolant that really didn’t help a bit just the coolant leaking I tried the retorque the bolts and this didn’t help, what do you recommended me replace the t-stat housing for the oem one or take it off and resealed, and how important is to get the gasket for the housing

Remove the housing, clean all the old material off with a razor or other sharp scraper being careful not to cut into the aluminum.
Get new gasket, bottle of Indian head gasket cement made by permatex, brown goo in a bottle with an applicator built into the cap. Coat the surface of the tstat housing and stick the gasket on all lined up. Let sit for a few and then apply some more indian head to the other side. Install thermostat with with bleeder hole at 12 O'clock. You can also apply some indian head to the bolt that goes into the water jacket, install and torque down to specs. Let it sit for a few and then finish it up with coolant and such.

jeepr said:
Is there a reason to go with the brown goo as opposed to the blue goo in the tube??

I've been using the brown goo since my first lawnmower go cart 40 years ago. Stuff works, you can even use it on exhaust down pipe gaskets [donuts]. I have come to think of it as the 'wd-40 of sealers'...

Back