• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 LOW engagement issue.......I promised I searched!

Jip

NAXJA Forum User
Got a '96 Cherokee 4.0, auto, 4x4 with around 180k miles on it. I've only used the 4H on the TC, and I've only done it maybe 10 times since I got this Cherokee about 2 yrs ago.

I was going to consult the owners manual, but I don't have one. The Haynes manual hasn't told me what I want to know.

Here is my issue, I'll try to give a step-by-step here:

I put the trans in DRIVE.
Then I shift the TC lever down to 4H. Then I see a "part time" light illuminate on the right side of the dash.
I then try to shift the TC lever to 4L, but it won't go.
I put the trans in NEUTRAL.
Then I pull the TC lever into 4L, and it goes right in.
I apply the throttle put it just revs like its not even in gear.
Then I can put it in NEUTRAL, DRIVE, or PARK; then try to take the TC lever from 4L to 4H, and it just grinds, b/c now it won't come out of 4L without grrrriiiinnddding!

Finally, I shut down my Cherokee, and move the TC lever back to 2 wheel drive while the engine is OFF.

So, basically I've got 4H, and no 4L. I'm still unsure on how to adjust everything.

ANY help would be appreciated, thanks!

I can believe you searched that one and didn't find anything, that's a new one on me. I would say something inside the transfer case is broken. Are you sure 4 hi actually works? Make sure it's not just the light coming on. The fact that it won't come out of 4L without grinding makes me think it is properly adjusted and something is messed up. There is a bunch of snap rings holding things together in the case, and a big chain driving the shafts, probably a problem with one or the other.

I'm sure the 4H works; a few weeks back I used it to limp out of a small mud puddle after the rear wheels did nothing but spin. Hmmm, I'm still scratching my head.....

Two questions. 1) What transfer case do you have, 2) Is your shifting sequence correct?

My '90 requires shifting into Neutral to shift the TC. This lets the gears move and mesh, and that sometimes requires letting the vehicle roll to get the stick to move, especially 4L. Rolling turns the driveshafts, lining gears up to engage. Maybe it's just not going into gear in Drive.

You'd probably like to hear from another '96 owner who can describe the instructions in the owners manual, but give that a try.

I would recommend adjusting the linkage before we go worrying about internal damage. After my lift was installed, I had the exact same scenario. Linkage adjustment took care of that. Do a search for threads with Matthew Currie in them. He had an explanation on how to go about adjusting the linkage that was worded quite nicely. It will take you 20 minutes to adjust it. One thing I do now is I spray a little bit of Teflon lube on the joints in the linkage when I'm under there changing oil. Then I work the shifter through all options. I only use 4L when I'm wheelin' so it's kinda like Costanza (exercise the gaskets). Try that first and then get back to us.

-river

Well, I was digging around, and found the owners manual. I tried the shifting method stated in the manual.....still no luck. I don't know what TC it has, but I'll find out. I'll search for the stuff you suggested riverfever. I'm gonna lick this problem soon!

Thanks everyone!

[/QUOTE]I put the trans in DRIVE.
Then I shift the TC lever down to 4H. Then I see a "part time" light illuminate on the right side of the dash.
I then try to shift the TC lever to 4L, but it won't go.
I put the trans in NEUTRAL.
Then I pull the TC lever into 4L, and it goes right in.
I apply the throttle put it just revs like its not even in gear.
Then I can put it in NEUTRAL, DRIVE, or PARK; then try to take the TC lever from 4L to 4H, and it just grinds, b/c now it won't come out of 4L without grrrriiiinnddding!

Finally, I shut down my Cherokee, and move the TC lever back to 2 wheel drive while the engine is OFF.

So, basically I've got 4H, and no 4L. I'm still unsure on how to adjust everything.

ANY help would be appreciated, thanks![/QUOTE]

You have a NP-231 T-Case. You also have a linkage problem. You just need to adjust the linkage.
You describe moving the tcase from 4 hi to 4 low and it goes right in. The tcase shift sequence is 2hi, 4hi, Neutral, 4 low. If you are pulling from 4hi and it is going right in, I suggest your hitting Neutral and not 4 low. Try (With the jeep off, or the Tranny in N) to lift the tcase lever up tillit stops. Is there room for the lever to travel farther? Try loving the lever towards your knee while pulling up farther. This would be how to get it into 4 low. If this is not the case (There is no more room for the lever to travel) and you still are not moving when you shift to drive, then try to adjust the linkage.
That would be an other typing session for the linkage procedures. But I'm thinking you are not actually pulling the lever all the way to 4 low.

TiRod said:
My '90 requires shifting into Neutral to shift the TC.
Only if there's a problem. You SHOULD be able to shift into and out of 4-hi "on the fly" without shifting out of drive. If you can't, something is not working right.

Back