• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trailer wiring.

mack

NAXJA Forum User
i need some help here, i'm tryin to wire up my boat trailer lights, i went out and got brand new trailer lights, a t-plug for the xj harness, after hooking it all up, only the left side works right!, i made sure ALL grounds are good, i made sure all the blubs were good, i don't know what more to do, i only have running lights on the right side, no brake or blinkers
this is the harness i got.
hy42455icon.jpg

but i also got a taillight conveter too, but i think it's the same things as the first harness i got, do i need them both?
i have this too.
hy46155trailerwiringkitUn.jpg

Are you sure that the wiring on the trailer is good?

I would use the first adapter shown -- with the built-in tap -- along with the test-light from the second set.

That should allow you to determine if the Jeep wiring is good.

(alligator clip to WHITE(exposed contact), then use probe on the other 3 contacts)

GREEN - left turn/brake
YELLOW - right turn/brake
BROWN - tail lights

Last edited:
There is only one wire for the running lights, so if some of them are out its definately a trailer wiring or bulb prioblem.
One thing that can happen is your brand new lights have the bulbs not seated in them properly...been there.

You are right the first harness has a converter in it so you dont need the second.

but the trailer works fine with other trucks, i don't have right side power from the converter, i think its bad.

Well I'm stummped. The plug has 4 wires, ground, left stop/turn, right stop/turn and running lights. The running light power is split for the two sides on the trailer (probably right at the plug, two brown wires go to the same pin)
In any case try a test light or dmm on the output plug. To get fancy they sell a test plug at the auto store that has 3 led's on it..

i run LED taillights, could that be an issue??

Possably IIRC the converters used to make trailer lights work with XJ's require at least one reguler bulb in each circut to function properly.

it's just a trailer light kit from wally world, i'm pretty sure it's standard, i do have a new t-connector coming, when i put a test light in the plug from the jeep, it has no power coming from the right side.

Back