• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u joints in d30 axle

play_in_the_mud

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 with axles out of an 88 in it, d30 in front and d44 in rear. The d30 has the 260 u joints in it. Anyone know if i can put the 297's in it for a little stronger u joint? Thanks for any help guys

Is your 88 D30 a disconnect axle? If so, I believe the only way to get 297 shafts and joints is from a 95 YJ with ABS.

If it is non-disconnect, your 95 shafts will interchange, but I don't think they changed to the 297 joint until 96, but I may be wrong.

first, do you have vacuum disconnect axles or not???

if you DO NOT have a vacuum disconnect axle, then you can just get axle shafts out of your 95 D30.

if you DO have a vacuum disonnect axle, then you have to remove the shift fork/motor, get different axle shaft seals and seal of the hole in the back of the axle where the shift motor used to be. and then you can install the shafts out of your 95 D30.

but i also believe that they didn't start using the bigger joints until 96. but don't quote me on that........either way, you can still do the same thing you'll just have to go to the junkyard and find yourself some axle shafts out of a newer D30.

It isnt the vaccuum axle. And according to napa my 95 with the stock axles should take the 297's. So i guess I'm off to the junk yard to find me some axles. Thanks for all your help guys

play_in_the_mud said:
according to napa my 95 with the stock axles should take the 297's

Yeah, according to Checker, the only Cherokees with the 297 joints were ones equipped with ABS. Nothing like arguing with the parts counter boy that your 96 Cherokee needs the larger U-joints that the computer is telling him doesn't belong in your vehicle.

"Are you SURE you don't have ABS, sir?"
"Yes, I'm sure."
"Well, the computer says that the joint I already gave you should fit then."
"It doesn't fit, trust me, I've already tried it."
"You know most vehicles as new as a 96 have ABS nowadays."
"I know what ABS looks like, and I don't have it."
"Well, you know, the components don't all look the same between manufacturers."
"Just give me the damn joints, I promise I won't be coming back."

Boy, that set me back a couple advancement levels in my anger management class.

Israel said:
Yeah, according to Checker, the only Cherokees with the 297 joints were ones equipped with ABS. Nothing like arguing with the parts counter boy that your 96 Cherokee needs the larger U-joints that the computer is telling him doesn't belong in your vehicle.

"Are you SURE you don't have ABS, sir?"
"Yes, I'm sure."
"Well, the computer says that the joint I already gave you should fit then."
"It doesn't fit, trust me, I've already tried it."
"You know most vehicles as new as a 96 have ABS nowadays."
"I know what ABS looks like, and I don't have it."
"Well, you know, the components don't all look the same between manufacturers."
"Just give me the damn joints, I promise I won't be coming back."

Boy, that set me back a couple advancement levels in my anger management class.

X2 on my 95 non ABS...

thanks for your help guys, i work at a service center and i laughed my @$$ of at that because its soo true. I looked at my u-joint yesterday when it was on the lift, it said spicer on one side, 20 on another side, r62 on another side and i think it was blank on the other, thats all on one side of the u-joint just up, down, left, right, if u know what i mean. thanks guys

the best way to figure out what sized u-joint you have is to measure it. The 297s are physically larger.
check out www.madxj.com
under the axle section he's got the upgrade to 297 shafts, and has the seal part numbers if you have a disco axle.

Back