• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ top speed

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
Anyone know what a 97 and newer, stock XJ with 4.0 and an Auto tops out at?

I have read that its governed to 120...though its not what I read in Car and Driver.

XJguy

i was doing 115 and still had a little more ways to go pry like 125 or so, i was clocked by an eclipse so i dotn know for sure if his speedo is right. i got 31s so my governer doesnt really stop at 116

They're all governed to about 116mph though 4.0 automatic versions are drag-limited to about 112mph. If your speedo's showing much higher than that, it's probably due to some error and maybe also a slight downhill grade.
Mine hits the governor at 116mph and won't go higher.

wow thats pretty decent. I don't think I am interested in actually testing it out although before the lift and all I did have it at about 100 but it just didnt seem too comfortable at that speed.

on my 95 my speedometer stops at 85 but i go to where the line that says mph/kmph is at(basically pointing down vertically) im not sure how many mph that is though

The rare models of police cherokees are certified to 130 mph I dont know how fast they will actually go but I am sure its close to that.

Also, don't forget that even on a completely stock vehicle :)( ), at 100+ mph, the speedo can be up to something like 10% off(maybe more?), so getting a correct speed is rough at 130. Especially when the speedo on your aerodynamic brick on wheels gave up at 85.

Figuring no torque converter slip loss...1 to 1 high gear in my A-904 trans...4.88 gears...tire circumference of 99.27...at the 5,500 RPM rev limit chip on my MSD....105 MPH...give or take depending on if the torque converter slips some and/or if the tires grow from centrifugal force...and if i have the guts to hammer it that hard... :explosion :D

i have an 84 and the speedo tops at 85, and it takes a while to get there. gotta love that 2.8 with that huge fuel leak, oh wait, thats called a carburator.

JeepSpeed said:
Also, don't forget that even on a completely stock vehicle :)( ), at 100+ mph, the speedo can be up to something like 10% off(maybe more?), so getting a correct speed is rough at 130. Especially when the speedo on your aerodynamic brick on wheels gave up at 85.

Mine reads 195kph (122mph) when I hit the 116mph speed limiter. Speedo's calibrated up to 210kph (130mph) and if I didn't have the limiter, I might even be able to go that fast. Not so sure how stable the XJ would be at that speed but it's certainly stable at 116mph. I have "H" rated tires that are rated to 130mph.

gauges.jpg

Dr. Dyno said:
Mine reads 195kph (122mph) when I hit the 116mph speed limiter. Speedo's calibrated up to 210kph (130mph) and if I didn't have the limiter, I might even be able to go that fast. Not so sure how stable the XJ would be at that speed but it's certainly stable at 116mph. I have "H" rated tires that are rated to 130mph.

gauges.jpg

I Kilometers I've hit 160and my foot was not hittin the floor yet. I slowed down when two RSX's flew by me with ease.

azxjman said:
The rare models of police cherokees are certified to 130 mph I dont know how fast they will actually go but I am sure its close to that.

Im lucky to have the auto column shift copper xj.... and before the lift i saw about 125 (on the speedo, not sure if accurate) and the RPMS were still rising.. but i bailed....... somehow i have selectrac also :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But now, with my lift, foot in floor, wont top 92 :(

Before my mj became a trail vehicle I would do stupid things like race my brother. He was in my z28 and said we were going over 130 through part of Nebraska. I am not sure, knew I was going fast because the sphincter facter was too high to notice anything other than RPM's. Redline in 4th, couldn't get it to redline in 5th.

Dr. Dyno said:

gauges.jpg

I know that this doesn't relate to this particular post topic but you have the nicest looking dash that I've ever seen in an XJ.
This has also made me wonder how fast my 89 4.0 auto XJ can go. I'll take some one's word on it because I don't want to go that fast in a lifted XJ., with no rear sway bar and 31's.

Thanks!
I sourced the fake wood trim from a junkyard XJ Limited and installed it in place of the original cheap-looking item. As for the gauge bezel, I removed it and spray-painted it with bumper chrome to give it a brushed aluminium look.
What you can't see in the picture is an Autometer 140*-300* oil temperature gauge that I mounted in between the instrument binnacle and the stereo unit (some XJ's have a digital clock in that space, so here's another pic:

Oil_Temp.JPG

To answer your question, your XJ might reach 105mph but like you said, you'll have to be very brave to try it.

Like the dash Dr., looks good :thumbup: I remember reading somewhere that the police XJ's were limited to 112mph and were not intended for pursuits, even with the 125mph dash, autobahn (German market) suspension, and 130mph tires. Didn't stop one police department from using it to stop a stolen Durango when it's Caprice's and Crown Vic's couldn't keep up (I saw it on "World's Wildest Police Chases", summer '98 I think.)

Back