• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal assembly on column question?

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to find a replacement turn signal for my 96 cherokee. What year cherokees can I find a replacement from going to the local junkyard? The hazards and wipers work but the turn signals don't work so I am going to try and find a replacement instead of paying over $50.00 for a new one.
Will one work from a grand cherokee? Thanks.

Kim.

you sure it's not the flasher unit Kim?
is this the one that was dunked?
I imagine that any XJ with the right column would have that unit, is it a GM or chrysler column?

87manche said:
you sure it's not the flasher unit Kim?
is this the one that was dunked?
I imagine that any XJ with the right column would have that unit, is it a GM or chrysler column?

Yes, this is the jeep that took a dunk past the column.
The flasher should be good if the hazards work which they do. The column is a crysler. I looked at a 97 grand cherokee a little while ago and it sure looked the same. I have been drying the column out along with the switch taken apart and drying as I type. Could bad light bulbs be the problem? I personally don't think that is the problem but I have to check every possibility. Well, back to the garage. Thanks.

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
Yes, this is the jeep that took a dunk past the column.
The flasher should be good if the hazards work which they do. The column is a crysler. I looked at a 97 grand cherokee a little while ago and it sure looked the same. I have been drying the column out along with the switch taken apart and drying as I type. Could bad light bulbs be the problem? I personally don't think that is the problem but I have to check every possibility. Well, back to the garage. Thanks.

Kim.

The flasher for the hazards is a different flasher. Do the lights come on but not flash? If so it's not likely the switch.

When you try left or right on the turn signal it does not do anything. But with the hazards on everything works just no blinkers.

Kim.

Just put everything back together and still no left or right turn signal. I really think that it is the switch but I cannot get my hands on another one until Monday so it will have to wait. Until then I will have to find out where the flashers are and see if that is the problem.
John, you said that there was a different flasher for the turn signals and hazards, where are they both located?

Kim.

on my 87 they're both in the fuse panel, two round flasher units. Te hazards and the blinkers use the same wiring to the bulbs, so it's probably not grounds or bulbs.

87manche said:
on my 87 they're both in the fuse panel, two round flasher units. Te hazards and the blinkers use the same wiring to the bulbs, so it's probably not grounds or bulbs.

No flashers on my fuse panel. Still trying to find them.

Kim.

I found the relay for the hazards a few days ago and replaced with a new one. No go. Still have the same problem. So that leave the wiring behind the switch. Over $75.00 for a new one so it will be a day or so before I can get one. Anybody have a good one laying around?

Kim.

I'd take it apart first and make sure it's really the switch beofre shelling out 75 bones. It might be a loose wire or something before the switch. Have you gotten to the switch with a multimeter to make sure it has power going to it?

Nope. Never messed with anything electrical on a jeep yet. Time to learn something and take it apart. I tried a new switch also and that did not cure it.

Kim.

I'm gonna guess that the switch doesn't have power or it's just corroded as hell in there from the dunking.
The easier place to start might beunder the dash, tap into the wire that provides power to the switch and make sure you don't have a problem farther upstream.

87manche said:
I'm gonna guess that the switch doesn't have power or it's just corroded as hell in there from the dunking.
The easier place to start might beunder the dash, tap into the wire that provides power to the switch and make sure you don't have a problem farther upstream.

I would think that the switch gets power because the wiper and headlight switches work. Just no turn signal. I took it apart and cleaned up all the little connectors and let them dry out for a couple of days and still no go. I will check out under the dash this afternoon.

Kim.

yeah, but the wiper and turn signal circuits are fed from different fuses, so they have different power sources.

I have come to the conclusion that I don't drive this heap on the road and so I quit working on the problem. But I did find out that the only thing left for me to replace is the wiring in the column. Everything else I tried did not fix the problem.
HTH

Kim

Back