• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Capacity of XJ

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what the actual tow weight capacity of a 1994 XJ 4x4 AW4, D30/35 is? I don't have an owner's manual and need to know if I can do some hauling with it? Thanks

Jeff

5K pounds.
At that weight though the brakes are borderline, and depending on the length of the trailer it may try and drive the XJ.
Remember, you've got barely adequate brakes and a short wheelbase.
A trans cooler is highly recommended.

I definately plan on getting one-which kind is best??

Jeff

hayden, BM, you name it. The stacked plate kind are more effective than the tube and fin designs.

Can the stacked plate kinds be gotten at any of the chain parts stores??

Jeff

Definatly run the tranny cooler. If you are towing anything over 3000# make sure that you at least have surge brakes. If you are towing a travel trailer or light car hauler use electric brakes and a equalizing/stabilizing hitch. I tow a lot with my 96' XJ but it is only a 3100# bass boat and the trailer has brakes. In the mountains that I live in I wouldn't tow anything heavier than 3500# with the XJ.
jeepboatsideview2lr.jpg

ihscoutlover said:
Can the stacked plate kinds be gotten at any of the chain parts stores??

Jeff
Yes.

If you have the factory 2" receiver tow package, it has one already.

The early XJs had a brake wire under the drivers side kick panel for electric brake controllers.
It is labeled something strange, like "Brake".

Hey Zuke,

It has the reciever, I don't believe it to be factory, and it never had the extra tranny cooler. I think the PO had put the reciever on and never put on the external tranny cooler. The reason I am asking all of this is because I have to travel to the OH/PA state lines to bring back a Toyota Corolla, and I am putting it on a car dolly. I have hauled a 1500# trailer behind it empty, but it doesn't seem to have the a$$ to pull the trailer well. I am going to change the fluid and that may help some, but not what I am wanting. I know the car weighs about 3400-3600# and when you take into account that the rear two wheels of the car are off the ground, I would not be pulling the full weight of the car, I just don't want to exceed the weight capacity of the XJ, and since I don't have the owner's manual, I cannot determine how much of a trailer and gear the truck is capable of hauling. Thanks for all the replies so far and keep them rolling in.

Jeff

I still say get the cooler and try to find/rent a dolly with surge brakes. I'm surprised that you didn't feel like you had enough power towing a 1500# trailer.

What ratio/tire combo are you running?

I used to tow the boat that is pictured in my first post with 3.55/235 combo and it did o.k., but lower gears always helps(I now run 4.10's). The only time I fell that I need more motor is on some of the long grades here in VA,(now I know how truckers feel)and of course I'd like to be in a heavier truck in panic brake situations on wet roads. If I were towing on flat road like in OH, I'd be very comfy.

The Cherokee is a very capable tow vehicle for its small size, but it is what it is!

I am running 235/75/15 BFG AT's, and I am at stock gearing-I believe 3.54 or 3.55-its one of those. I am in the process of changing tranny fluid, which I know can help, but I have had a heavier trailer on it before and it just doesn't seem like it can do the pulling I know an inline 6 is capable of. Thoughts or concerns??

Jeff

I'm at a loss, 3.55,Aw4 and stock tires should have plenty of grunt! Just make sure that you have it in good tune, check for codes and give it a good TB and FI cleaning. Most people are running the Champion plugs but I like the NGK V-power, but I've also got the Firepower ignition.

ihscoutlover said:
Hey Zuke,

It has the reciever, I don't believe it to be factory, and it never had the extra tranny cooler. I think the PO had put the reciever on and never put on the external tranny cooler. The reason I am asking all of this is because I have to travel to the OH/PA state lines to bring back a Toyota Corolla, and I am putting it on a car dolly. I have hauled a 1500# trailer behind it empty, but it doesn't seem to have the a$$ to pull the trailer well. I am going to change the fluid and that may help some, but not what I am wanting. I know the car weighs about 3400-3600# and when you take into account that the rear two wheels of the car are off the ground, I would not be pulling the full weight of the car, I just don't want to exceed the weight capacity of the XJ, and since I don't have the owner's manual, I cannot determine how much of a trailer and gear the truck is capable of hauling. Thanks for all the replies so far and keep them rolling in.

Jeff
Most Corollas weigh between 1900lbs and 2900lbs give or take depending on year and model. The station wagons were 2900lbs. Also, whether the wheels are on the trailer or rolling on the ground, you are still pulling the whole weight of the vehicle and trailer. You should be fine with a 1000lb trailer and a corolla...

XJTrailrider,

I have tuned it and the 235's are not stock-it had 225's and I have seen them with 215's as well. I agree the truck should have the power to pull this with no problem. Just guess it needs the tranny flushed and that might bring some of it bac, although I have been able to pull a Scout Traveler around with very little effort, so I don't know why that is. Thanks

Jeff

Sorry for neglecting the thread...

MY XJs receiver is also aftermarket, and no they did not install the tranny cooler. I do have a 3 core radiator, though and that helps.
...I should install a tranny cooler... :)

The towing capacity was posted early on, it is 5,000lbs. That is with the tranny cooler, Stock gears, and Stock tires. Going up a tire size has little affect and can be discounted.

My friends 88' pulled my 16' car trailer and Valiant to and from the track once, that's about 5K. A Zuk and Tow dolly once, for 2 States, that was about 2.7K. And my 98' flat towed a YJ over 4 States at Interstate speeds, that was almost 4K (hard top, big tires, lifted- read "BOX"). Yah, they're a little slow off the line, but for being able to tow their weight, not bad <shurg>.

Here is the trick, and since your owners manual is AWOL, you should write this down... Put the truck in "3", not "D", but "3", that will keep the truck out of OD, and it will pull just about anything. If your truck has one of those magic "comfort" switches (Rocker switch with pix of a transmission on it), switch it to "Performance", and that will delay the shifts a bit longer.

If the Corrola is FWD, your good to go. If RWD and an Automatic, you will want to pull the driveshaft to avoid messing up the transmission (after loading it on the dolly of course). If a manual, just make sure the car is in neutural. Many folks still take the added precaution of removing the rear driveshaft on a manual to avoid Murphy poking his nasty nose in their business.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I have 3.73 gears, 33" tires and a Pukegoat trans ('87 Comanche), but still haul up to 6500lbs (usually FSJs) but not on steep downhills. I did upgrade my brakes slightly. (I have a ZJ booster to put on, but already did the bigger later model calipers and AMC Eagle rear wheel cylinders so I can lock them up and stop when needed!)

Someone mentioned a "light car hauler".. is there such thing? All the car haul "designed" trailers I've looked at are like 8000+ GVW. Thinking of buying a trailer to haul a 2500lb car -- whats the lightest possabe thing to get? (no dollies for this one..)

gjxj said:
Someone mentioned a "light car hauler".. is there such thing? All the car haul "designed" trailers I've looked at are like 8000+ GVW. Thinking of buying a trailer to haul a 2500lb car -- whats the lightest possabe thing to get? (no dollies for this one..)

It is impolite to hyjack, or change the subject of a thread.
If you want to start a new subject, you should make a new thread.

Its called following a train of though, note that the original question was
answed four times over -- BTW its also rude to lecture someone whos been contributing to the group for a couple of years.

Back