• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing chain and other questions

knottshawk

NAXJA Forum User
First, how often are you supposed to replace the timing chain on the XJ? (4.0)

Second, what does the "country" have that makes it worth so much more than the other xj's?

Third, how do you like my hair? Kidding....

Have any of you guys added insulation to the interior of your XJ? Particularly to quiet down the noisy fuel pump?

THanks

Timing chains are good theoretically indefinitely, but I would change it if I noted wandering timing, or if I was changing the bumpstick anyhow. I've got 255Kmiles on the original chain in my 88, and it's not an issue.

Typically, I've seen timing chains (OEM "silent" types - with the laminated links) go for something like 350-400Kmiles. "Roller" style chains (the ones that look like heavy-duty bicycle chains) can go a half million miles easily, often more.

As I recall, wasn't the "Country" package to include something like 30-inch tyres and an inch of lift? I'm a little spotty on that one - perhaps someone else here can answer that. If true, that would make it variously known as the "country" and the "up-country" package, depending upon year. It might have included tow hooks as well, but I'm getting REALLY foggy now...

5-90

Don't confuse the Country Edition with the Up Country suspension option.

The Country Edition was an up-scale XJ that basically replaced the XJ Wagoneer in the mid-90s. It had lots of options, many of them had fake woodgrain on the sides, and it was a nice package ... expect that it wasn't available with a 5-speed.

The Up Country suspension option provided about a 1" lift, skid plates, gas shocks, and slightly stiffer springs, but it did NOT include larger tires. It was a suspension option available on any model and is completely unrelated to the Country Edition trim level.

Country's all have the two-tone trim and they were standard 'loaded' with power windows, cruise, alloy wheels, etc (and 4L 4x4 of course). IMO an older one shouldn't really be worth more the a few hunderd over a sport model all things equal. Personally I don't care for the two tone trim..

Last year I replaced my harmonic balancer and figured I might as well check the timing chain. It turned out it was just out of spec...had a little too much play. I forgot the spec but I think if it's more than a 1/2 inch of play it needs to be replaced. Was fairly easy job. This was on my '89 with about 190,000 miles.

Here's some pics:

http://homepage.mac.com/johnvito/PhotoAlbum44.html

Don't give me too much hell from all that RTV...as it's still hasn't leaked in over a year...a new record.

Last edited:
Back