• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some pretty scarry rims

Anthropy

NAXJA Forum User
I am in Chicago area this week and just saw some street rod with nice looking rims. At first glance I notice that something was not quite right about them.

Upon closer observation, I noticed that the owner had redrilled the stud hole pattern so the new holes were adjacent to the origional holes. So it looks like the guy liked the looks of the rims but they would not fit the hole pattern and 'made it fit'.

I would never consider doing something so crazy as to redrill the holes on the rims. This is just asking for trouble.

Tom

Upon closer observation, I noticed that the owner had redrilled the stud hole pattern so the new holes were adjacent to the origional holes. So it looks like the guy liked the looks of the rims but they would not fit the hole pattern and 'made it fit'.

many maufacturers actually do this so one wheel can fit many applications.....I have a set 17" Americans on my son's Mazda mx6 that have two patterns on them from the factory...its actually pretty common any more...yep they will fit his mazda and my XJ...LOL

I have an aftermarket chrome rim somewhere behind my barn, from an unknown source, which has radially elongated holes, so it will fit multiple bolt circles. I guess it would sort of self-center, but I never dared use it.

Matthew Currie said:
I have an aftermarket chrome rim somewhere behind my barn, from an unknown source, which has radially elongated holes, so it will fit multiple bolt circles. I guess it would sort of self-center, but I never dared use it.

They used those back in the 70's and 80's. They are supposed to be used with a special washer that positions the wheel in the correct location. If you switched car brands,all you had to do was buy the correct washers for your application instead of buying new rims. And I guess the fact that it was also cheaper to make 'em that way helped a bunch,too :D

Yea i gotta aluminum rim that has about 3 sets of lug patterns that are compatible to it.

Back