• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best battery?

I'll put in another vote for the Optima Red Top. I have had one in my 91 for something like 6 years and still cranks it just fine. I've had it crank the motor over at -40 and then proceed to start another car (I could tell when he turned the key because my volt meter would almost peg out) when I tried to jump it. Only 2 times it has left me stranded where when I left the lights on while skiing. Does good with the lights too assuming you have them wired properly with relays, there doesn't seem to be any noticible change in the meter when I have on my IPF Magic J bulbs, my 100w Lightforces, 55w Hellas and various other stuff inside.

Ditto on the red top.......but, if $$$ are an issue than go to Costco and get their Kirkland battery. It is an Interstate Battery in disguise. Interstate is the next bext thing to the optima.

Definately Optima's. I was about 200 miles from home and my alternator shit on me and I got home using nothing but my red top. Definately worth the money in my books.

another vote for optima.... I have a yellow top right now and it's good as gold

I've had good results with the DEKA batteries. I just replaced mine after 5 years and recieved about $10 off the new one because it still had some warranty time left. They're about $70 and have a great warranty. By the way, they're the same company that makes batteries for the military (Humvee's / 5 Ton trucks, etc.). I know that some guys will say the military batteries are crap but let's be honest, how well do we really maintain those things? There's alot of talk about the Optima batteries but for $40 more I'll stick with a lead/acid batt. My jeep will never see the abuse I've put my Army Hummer through (cause I have to pay for the repairs!) and they don't use Optima's in Hummers. Just my honest opinion.

We use optima re tops for our aircraft tugs. 4 cylinder detroit engines and we never run them very long, so i'm sure they never get good recharges. Never had a problem at work with them.

Back