• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'93 Bucking/Missing When Warm

Carzan

NAXJA Forum User
O.K., a little background. I was given (Oct. 05) this '93 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 and 5spd manual because it wouldn't start for the previous owner and he did not want to deal with it. I replaced the CPS and have been driving it ever since.
However, the weather has been cool to cold for this time period and now that the weather is warming up, the Jeep has become tempermental.
It was subtle at first...happening every so often pulling away from a stop sign after driving about 10-15 minutes with weather clear and in the 70s.
Now that the weather is reaching the 80s, It got worse with skipping and bucking intermittantly while traveling...not just pulling away from stops.
It got pretty bad last week, but it finally threw a code: TPS
Sooooo, I replaced the TPS and it drove fine for about 4 days, but the weather has been cool. Yesterday, I made a few trips and after I stopped at my last stop, it began bucking lightly again on the way home.
After doing a search on this forum, I remembered something about fuel injector wiring harness issues on (I believe) '93 models, but after searching some more, I have come up with nothing except that others have had similar issues, but no details.
Anyone have details about F.I. harness issues on these or any other thoughts? It sure acts like the injectors intermittantly stop working.
Thanks,
-Louis-

Did you install the TPS correctly with the TPS' arm under the throttle body arm? Don't ask me how I know!

Did you adjust the TPS after installation?

Had symptoms like yours recently when weather warmed up and it was my TPS not being adjusted properly.

According to the Haynes manual ( I think that's where I read it), there is no adjustment on the '93s. I saw no way to adjust it, either. Two screws and a plug and your done. ???
-Louis-

Could this same problem happen in a renix system?

Yes... Had same symptoms as the original poster recently when weather warmed up...for me it was the TPS not being adjusted properly. I have an '89 which is a renix year.

Back