• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best hood vents

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
i wanted to know what rthe best hood vents are and im moving soon to where it snows and rains a lot would it be a bad idea to install vents with those conditions

DansGreyMj said:
i wanted to know what rthe best hood vents are and im moving soon to where it snows and rains a lot would it be a bad idea to install vents with those conditions

It's raining like a MOFO right now, and I have no concerns about it, snowed last 2 winters, with no problems using LeBaron vents without any type of drip pans.

i have a single hood scoop from ebay (very cheap). comes in a few colors and sticks to hood w/ 3M tape. i put an electric fan on inside of hood w/ switch. ive had it on for 2 -3 months and it works very well and get very little rain under hood. scoop is 15" x 13" and is u shaped w/ grill

this topic has been on my to-do list for sometime, I've seen many pics, but more can't hurt. if you have some please add them, specially the hood scoop from ebay, I had thought of something like this but would like to see your setup.
thanks

DansGreyMj said:

dont see how the rain could hurt a jeep anym ore than it hurts a turbo dodge spirit, dodge onni, dodge lebaron, pontiac grand prix, 1990s lumina Z34, etc.

Best i would say the ones that look best are the squarish looking turbo dodge ones they look the best on the flat hood and overall flat squarish styling on the XJ. Go with what ever you can find though and YOU LIKE, search the pick and pull junk yard or ebay.

The problem some people have with water using vents(take lebarron vents for instance) is that the ideal place to put the vents so that they do not interfere with hood bracing is directly above the rear of the intake manifold for the driver side vent. Right there, on the side of the throttle body, is the legendary TPS(throttle position sensor), which is very water sensitive. Mine decided to bust and go crazy after a light hose down on the motor, must have just squirted it at the wrong angle that day. Many people have had problems after getting their TPS wet, it can cause idle problems, and anything else having to do with your throttle position pretty much.

But there have been a few people here who've made drip pans for that side, mainly for when the jeep is parked in rain. Search, and you will discover.

''I think he wanted some that looked good also.....''

yeah really!
I'm a very firm believer that ''form should follow function'' but this is ridiculous !

I am a fan of using 260Z ones as they allow you to move them enough toward the outer corners of the bonnet that is does not effect your TPS etc.

Vents 017.jpg

I have a write up on fitting these as well as pictures of others on my site www.go.jeep-xj.info

ahm said:
i have a single hood scoop from ebay (very cheap). comes in a few colors and sticks to hood w/ 3M tape. i put an electric fan on inside of hood w/ switch. ive had it on for 2 -3 months and it works very well and get very little rain under hood. scoop is 15" x 13" and is u shaped w/ grill

Got any pics of this?

Back