• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bendix ABS

bigsliks

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 jeep, now I'm not sure if I have the bad ABS or not, how do I know? and I was thinking of just pulling the fuse for now if I do have the crappy ABS? Mine has a black ball thing on the master cylinder, also the brake pedal is very hard, the truck stops fine but the pedal is harder then I'm use to, will just pulling the fuse help with the hard brakes? I did do alot of searching, do canadian trucks have the same ABS system as in the States.

thanks

91 has the shitty ABS. If you have the big black ball accumulator on your firewall you have it. Or on your passenger side you will have a silver pump under a cover.

now which fuses do I pull to disable it? or will this screw something up! I know I have the black ball, but it looks like it is on the Master cylinder, which is bolted to the firewall! everything seems to be working fine, except the brake is pretty hard to press but stops fine.

thanks

be aware that you have lifetime warranty on certain parts like the pump. THis pump is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It pumps up high pressure to the accumulator (black ball). If pump fails this accumulator should still hold pressure for several stops. Has your pump stopped? You can hear your pump every time you press the brakes. It cycle for a few seconds until pressure has come up.

I also have this system on my 89. I got the pump and main sylinder changed under warranty three years ago. I have had some faults. I Changed the wires to both front wheel sensors, from the wheel sensors to the connector in the engine bay. The old wires were brittle and insulation was falling breaking off. When I turned the wheels the sensor lost connection. I cut the wire near the sensor and soldered a new wire in, with a crimp over it. I is as good as new.
I also had a connector failure near the pump. One wire in a multi connector was pressed out and lost connection.

regards
Torfinn

bigsliks said:
now which fuses do I pull to disable it? or will this screw something up! I know I have the black ball, but it looks like it is on the Master cylinder, which is bolted to the firewall! everything seems to be working fine, except the brake is pretty hard to press but stops fine.

thanks

you can disable the ABS portion to where the lights will say you have an ABS problem. But you can't disable the pump. If I recall correctly, it's a block fuse for the ABS disable. But, I would recommend you do the work to switch to a master cylinder system. I would not trust my life to the Bendix ABS

I have a 91 and it is the bad ABS system - but bad meant flaking out, going into ABS mode for no reason. . . It is particularly a BAD system because it does NOT have a conventional booster. If it fails there is no back-up.

Fot this reason, I seriously doubt you will get a better pedal feel by pulling fuses (make sure it's the right one or you'll disable boost). . . Even if you "disable" ABS on this system, you are still relying on the system for boost. . .

thanks guys I will be putting in a newer non ABS system but for now I'll just leave it because it seems to be working fine.

My 89 Limited had the Bendix ABS system. When I bought it someone had a toggle switch mounted on the dash that operatied the booster pump.
I removed the ABS brake system and replaced it with a vacuum booster and master cylinder from a salvage yard 1999 Cherokee Classic (non ABS) $50.00 plus tax (spent more time on trying to get the brake light switch adjusted correctly than the booster and M/C install.) Good brakes now. One of the best modifications I've done.

well I might be doing the swap sooner then later just took it on the HWY and I was given full throttle to about 110 kms and the CHECK ANTI_LOCK BRACK light comes on and stayed on till I turned the truck off and started it back up!

what does this mean? CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

Pardon me for the Hi-Jack....but I have a 90 Renix that came with the flawed Bendix 9 ABS setup. I swapped it out for a vacuum booster but I have since lost my cruise control. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

My ? first, what does the check light coming on then going off mean ?
is this somthing I should get checked ASAP?

thanks

bigsliks said:
well I might be doing the swap sooner then later just took it on the HWY and I was given full throttle to about 110 kms and the CHECK ANTI_LOCK BRACK light comes on and stayed on till I turned the truck off and started it back up!

what does this mean? CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

Check your wires to the front sensors first. Trace the wire from each sensor throuch the fender and up to a connector. Disconnect it and hook on an ohm meter. Compare the two sides. They should be equal. You might have to turn the steering wheels side to side and see if there is a point where connetion is lost. Or wiggle the wire. The wire is inside a wire loom. Take it out and look at it. I think you will find that the insulation is cracking, and may be the copper is visible. Splice in a new piece of wire from the sensor and up to the connector. This is what I did.

May be you also should check the sensors from the computer under the rear seat. By measuring from that point you also check the complete wiring.

My system was engaging at highway speeds when breaking and at the same time driving on a bumpy road. One of the sensors lost connection and the system lost its pulses from one wheel, and therefore thinks this wheel is locked fully.

People say the system has no backup if the pump fail. It is not correct although you do not get brake force amplification. To test this disconnect the battery. Fully discharge the accumulator by pressing the brakes 40 times. The brakes will then be function but the pedal will be very hard. This also happen when a conventional brake booster fail.

Regards

Slo-Sho said:
Pardon me for the Hi-Jack....but I have a 90 Renix that came with the flawed Bendix 9 ABS setup. I swapped it out for a vacuum booster but I have since lost my cruise control. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Check the switch mounted above the brake light switch. If it's not made up the cruise control thinks you have your foot on the brake. HTH

Back