• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

in hatch winch mount???

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
reading another post just made me remember an old question i've played with a couple times.

does anybody have a rear winch mount that is NOT on/in the rear bumper, but actually installed inside the rear hatch??? it doesn't matte if it's removable or permenant, i'm just looking for ideas......

i've been playing with the idea of sometime down the road having 2 fulltime winches, 1 in front and 1 in the rear inside the hatch.

i saw that WIL BADGER has an in hatch receiver mount integrated into his cage.......any other ideas and please try to provide pictures.

well mine is strictly for holding the winch down while i wheel not for recovery.it can be done but i wouldn't be putting to much trust in an in-cab mount unless it was fully tied into a full interior cage.just having some bolts through the floor just wouldn't seem like enough

I was kinda playing with the idea of placing some type of solid crossmembers between the framerails in the hatch, and attach the winch to that.....i do also want a full roll cage, so that will also be taken into consideration, but could it be done without a cage if i build a re-enforcement between the frame rails???

IntrepidXJ said:
the only way i can see making it strong enough without a cage would be to build some kind of reverse receiver hitch that ties in to the framerails the same way as a regular hitch, but is upside down and comes up thru the floor.

Here is what a flipped hitch looks like.
124d1kx.jpg

[quoted]Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ
the only way i can see making it strong enough without a cage would be to build some kind of reverse receiver hitch that ties in to the framerails the same way as a regular hitch, but is upside down and comes up thru the floor.
BRIANHO13 said:
Here is what a flipped hitch looks like.
124d1kx.jpg
[/quote]

i don't see how the one in the picture "comes up through the floor".....by up through the floor i understand that as a hole in the floor. or am i wrong????

and i don't really want what's in that pic, cuz that puts the winch outside the vehicle.....i want the winch "inside" the vehicle.

you could put it inside coming up through the floor but then the i see the gas tank getting in the way.i mean you could come up with a crossmember in there no doubt but then its how do you run the line.you could use to set of fairleads .one on the inside floor and another on the outside to help direct it to the winch without having to open the hatch

i'm anything can be done its a matter of what you are giving up to do so.

i've seen it done in other vehicles like a wrangler,bronco,i even saw a land rover defender 90 that had the winch in the rear and then had it set up with a pulley and some tube to bring it out front as well.was actually a pretty cool set up.

Back