• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard start when cold/shuts off when driving

ufc tapout ufc

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 87 cherokee 6 cylinder 4.0 and and at first the engine would just randomly shut off, it would shut off at idle, going down the freeway, or right after i would hit the gas and it would do it at any time whether i had been driving it for 2 minutes or 20. it was like someone would just hit a kill switch on the car, with no sputtering or anything. the cps in there was only 3 weeks old at the most so i tried putting the old one back in and the same thing still happens. when i pull over and put it in park to start it the thing fires right up. when i try to start it when its cold i have to turn the key from the off postition to the start positoin and back to the off position again around five times before it starts up.this is my daily driver and any help is greatly appreciated,thank you very much.

Sounds like a possible problem with the ignition switch or associated wiring. Just for shits, check the connections at the CKP, CMP, and MAP sensors. Also check the battery connections and all the major grounds on the block and chassis.

My old '91 did that to me once...and after a few minutes of looking I discovered it was as simple as the tab was broken on the CMP plug and it had come apart. A zip tie later it was fixed :D

Back