• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick disco problem...

MuddinJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
this is a bit of a newbie question: I bought a used 4.5" lift from a wreckers that came with the JKS QD attached to the sway bar from the original vehicle. I put the sway bar in, threw mine out, now I went to disconnect the QD and
1. they won't slip off when the cotter pin has been removed, I had to unbolt them;
2. one of the extended arms doesn't move at all (I think its supposed to rotate freely?) and the other only moves up and down, not side to side;
3. the sway bar is flopping around and I'm concerned that some of the steering components will push against the sway bar, or that my tires are going to rub on the QD that are also flopping around as there is nowhere to hold them up...

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas
Ian

1. Might need some lube ?
2. Yes should move free .. do you have the right bolt in there ? Is it to tight?
3. Zip tie or bungee it up of of the way

JKS pic

If you look at the picture of the disconnects, you can see the one on the right is sitting at an angle and seemingly "rotating" freely on the upper bushing. Mine won't move an inch...Also, looking at the pin with the cotter pin removed, you can see the nut on the left hand side. I had to remove that nut in order to get my sway bar disconnected, versus simply removing the cotter pin and having the main pin slide out easily from the sway bar connection attached to the axle.
Does that help??

LS1 Jeep thanks! I wasn't sure if having the sway bar dangling was a normal thing, and I didn't want to break anything either...
as far as the disco's go, are the lower bushing greasable? it looks like there is a nipple for the upper bushing, but nothing for the lower??

If there is no grease fitting for the lower, its the older generation - they added a second grease fitting a while back.

I agree with ls1, it sounds like they need grease. I just didnt understand what you meant before - it was early in the morning for me. :)

If your not sitting level it can be a bitch to get out .. or drive thru some water 1st or lube the sleeve some ... I have RE but still had to hit them now and again to get them out

MuddinJeeper said:
ya, i was on a non-paved road, but I wasn't flexing or anything like that. I guess I'll just grease em up then...thanks guys:D

Mine are brand new and if the ground is not PERFECTLY level (like in a garage) it can take a little muscle to disconnect them. Push really hard and be prepared to bust ur knuckles, or use a hammer to tap them free. Keep the pins on the axle end lubed and they come off easier too.

Back