• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metric Ton MJ AMC 20 bearings and seals

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
I have a leaky axle seal so I'll need to replace the bearing as well. No books seem to recognize this axle, I've been told everything from an A5, A9, and A10 by folks in the business.........someone know the real answer? I don't want to just tear it down to match up bearing numbers and then run the potential of the rig being down for a week due to parts availability.
I did nail down that the axle went in Canadian model MJ's in 1986, they came stock with one piece axle shafts, FWIW.
TIA

AFAIK there are 2 possibilities for this axle, Randy's sells them.

One is the AK SET10 for some flanged D44s and AMC 20 or you have sealed bearings with the old one piece moser axles. Randy's should be able to help with those.

Holy oddball, Batman!

My bet is that it is the same seal as 80-85 CJ's with a model 20.

CRASH

Can I throw in some more guessing / spobi. I bet it's the same as FS Waggies too :D

Cool! Another 86 Comanche with the AMC 20! I was starting to think I had the only one. ;-) Well, not really, but they are certainly quite rare. Mines originally from California though. Now she's in Michigan. If you find out what the bearing/seal is, please lemme know. I've got a slow leak on one side that I really should tend to. My email is in my signature. Thanks!
Jeep on!
--Pete

Will do Pete, I have a Metric Tonne M20 in my XJ to which I've added SVO/Explorer discs, my buddy has one in his that we found with a TSM disc kit. These babies are definitely rare, dealer told me they were only installed in 86 MJ's.............and folks think an XJ D44 is hard to find.

I saw one once near Eagle's house in CT, so that makes 5 accounted for, no?

Finally found the answer. Set 10 outer axle bearing is used for the Model 20 with 29 spline stock 1 piece axle shafts.

Back