• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 help (already searched)

jsolorza

NAXJA Member #1632
its going into a 99 xj with abs my question is the e brake mounting looks different and what else would i need i'm doing the brakes know and added a new brake line thanks

I just put a D44 from a 87' into a 99' 2dr and it all went in great. What do you mean by different?

The only thing from my 99' that I could not use was the rubber line that the D35 used but, the yard I got the D44 from sent a complete unit so the old line was used. I had no issues with any part match up on your list except what I said above. do you have any pics of what you are seeing, to get a better understanding?

81623099310_0_SM.jpg

Last edited:
jsolorza said:
the e brakes look different the 99 is on the side and the 87 in the middle.
the u bolts and driveshaft
Yeah but at the very end the ebrake cables attach to the drums, right? So what you want to do is unbolt your ebrake cables from the drums of the axle you're removing, then remove the axle, then bolt up the new axle and attach the existing 99 ebrake cables to the drums: the actual ebrake hookup internally within the drum is identical between D35, D44 and 8.25 (as long as all are XJ/MJ axles).

After looking at the pics what Kejtar said is right I used a small hose clamp to go around the e-brake cable's retainer to hold all the fingers in and hanked them out. Did you get the new hose for the D35 or the D44 the only difference is how they bolt to the axle tube. the D35 has a bango bolt (much larger OD) and the other is just a plane bolt so watch for this. Also, don't park that XJ in a dark place I just might have to get it muddy for you :). Looks real nice, keep it up.

Joe

Back