• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disgusting smell

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anything on your Jeep more foul smelling than old, dirty diff oil??

Changed mine for the first time in 3 years (I know, don't start) and damn it almost made me puke! (new oil isn't the best smelling shit either!)

Lubelocker seals are pretty nice by the way. OBVIOUSLY more $$$ than a tube of RTV but way less messy and somewhat reuable. Almost a guaranteed seal!

personally i kinda like the smell of gear oil.........................

you want something nasty smelling, try taking those big bolts out of the crankshaft bearing caps after 150,000+miles. that is some vomit inducing smell.

scorpio_vette said:
personally i kinda like the smell of gear oil.........................

you want something nasty smelling, try taking those big bolts out of the crankshaft bearing caps after 150,000+miles. that is some vomit inducing smell.
X2 The worst smell I've felt....by far..

My diff fluid with 180K on it smelled pretty friggin bad, and came out looking like it had glitter in it.

But the dog poop that was stuck in my tire last night while I was trying to mount a brush gaurd stunk pretty bad. Damn dog had to let it go right in the patch to the garage!

The only thing that smells worse than gear oil or old crusty main bolts is when you can't seem to get all of the dead or live run over animal(of your choosing) that squishes up into the undercarriage/ engine compartment. The smell of death is right up there with the smell of vomit!:passgas:

pressurerat said:
The only thing that smells worse than gear oil or old crusty main bolts is when you can't seem to get all of the dead or live run over animal(of your choosing) that squishes up into the undercarriage/ engine compartment. The smell of death is right up there with the smell of vomit!:passgas:

do a real big and smokey burning with the wind blowing under the vehicle going towards the front, or go mudding for several hours.

either one will help mask the smell.

Back