• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What oil to use in 2000 AC compressor?

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I read the FSM and it clearly says to use PAG oil, which is designed for a 134a system. It further says to use ND-8 PAG oil. The tag on the new compressor I am about to install says to use Type SP-15 oil.

The local AZ says to use PAG, but they have PAG 46 and PAG 100. They can't say for sure which. They had no idea what the ND-8 or the SP-15 designations mean. The local Jeep stealership parts guy could not tell mw which was right over the phone.

I bought a bottle of PAG 100 at AZ, mainly because they told me GM used the PAG 46, and they did not know who would use PAG 100, unless it was Chrysler. I really need to know before I screw up a new compressor.

What oil should I put in the compressor?

A quick search over at ackits.com forums shows that ND8 = PAG46 and SP15 = PAG100

The ND and SP are brand specific. ND appears to refer to NipponDenso and the SP refers to Sanden.

Knowing that doesn't resolve your problem, however. Might want to check there for further advice.

Yes it does... Based on your conversion table, his new compressor wants PAG100. I'd go with that.

That's just me though...:flipoff:

Rocketman said:
Yes it does... Based on your conversion table, his new compressor wants PAG100. I'd go with that.

That's just me though...:flipoff:

You're gonna wager his A/C system on that educated guess? :D

The type of oil seems to go with types of compressors. I'd be more inclined to check the type of compressor or the brand - or even the model, rather than going by a tag that could have been put on the compressor on a monday morning or friday evening.

Also, since the oil is going to be different than the FSM, he needs advice on whether to flush the whole system or mix and match. Again, common sense would dictate the flush, but I'm not gonna tell the guy when I don't actually know for sure :p

Thanks guys.

The tag I am referring to on the compressor is the Sanden manufactures tag. It has all the stuff on one tag, including model and serial number.

I just checked the tag on the bad compressor in the XJ is says to use 240 cc of 8P-20 oil. It says Sanden model 4784 revision A on the tag.

The new compressor is a Sanden model # 4886 revision B. The tag says to use 210 cc of SP-15.

Otherwise the compressors look identical, except the casting numbers. The clutch electrical connector is the same.

These are both R134a oils. Do you really think there is a risk of any small amout of oil that got out of the compressor causing an incompatability problem?

the oil circulates through the system anyway and PAG oil is PAG oil when it comes to the refridgerant(r134-a)..

I would say go with the oil on the tag because that's what the compressor asks for and it doesnt matter about anything else in the system.

Also if you are replacing the compressor you should replace the receiever/drier at the same time as the lines being open expose the drier to moisture from the air.

You also need to use a vacum pump to pull all the air/moisture out of the lines that got in when you opened the system. The filter/dryer can't, and wasn't desgined to remove the amount ot moisture the system will containe after opening it to the atmosphere.

Back