• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Mounting places(pic request)

TheWarWagon

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '89 XJ and recently became the owner of a Cobra 19xs. I was just looking for pictures of where anyone else has mounted theirs. I don't want to put it in front of the rear view mirror, seeing as how the police in my area LOVE to write fix it tickets.

How about above the mirror?? I'm not sure of the older XJ's but in my 2000, I have it above the mirror and it does not obstruct the view in any way. In the picture the cord is hanging over it, but you can move that around easily.

main.php

More than likely I'll run it on the roof. It's a relatively small unit(the CB wiseguys), so I'd imagine it'll be out of the way up there.

I mounted mine down in the driver's side foot area. It is right next to the transfer case lever, and is mounted to the flat surface forward and to the left. I'll try to put some pics on here if you want, I havent figured out how to do that yet.

It never gets in my way, and is still pretty accessible. I have a 97, and it looked like you had that interior style. Just a thought.

I run a northstar (which is a big chassis radio) and have it mounted overhead. It doesn't obstruct my view at all, so I know the lil' cobra won't hurt your view.

Another option I've seen if you don't change channels frequently is on the back of the center console.
Josh

DSC03580.jpg

If you are really tall this set-up won't work for you. When you are wheeling you can just set the mike in your lap.

d10shun said:
If you are really tall this set-up won't work for you. When you are wheeling you can just set the mike in your lap.

I kinda like that set up. I'm assuming for the roof mount, I'm going to need to drill through it.

Mine is mounted just like Clints, I don't have the OHC either just the reciever for the door locks(96'). My Uniden C.B.'s bracket mounted to the same holes that the door lock reciever mounted to, and no drilling needed. The only real PITA about this set-up is running the wires up the "A" piller. Other than that it works great.

I had mine on the roof like that, and behind the console, then i got a radio rack for between the seats, but it kills the ebrake

xjtrailrider said:
Mine is mounted just like Clints, I don't have the OHC either just the reciever for the door locks(96'). My Uniden C.B.'s bracket mounted to the same holes that the door lock reciever mounted to, and no drilling needed. The only real PITA about this set-up is running the wires up the "A" piller. Other than that it works great.
That's the same thing I did. JIM.
MVC-030S.jpg

d10shun said:
DSC03580.jpg

I dont have a pic of mine, so i'll use this one. I mounted mine on the passenger side of the center console. The cable for the antenna runs under the passenger seat, underneath the trim, all the way back to the passenger rear quarter panel where my antenna is mounted. The cord for the CB runs underneath the center console to the drivers side, and is mounted on the dash just below the guage cluster on the right side of the steering wheel. Mine is a 99, so its a bit different than this one, but you get the idea

I like this setup for a couple reasons. First of all, it looks clean, no cords hanging down from the mirror. Second, it isnt mounted on the driverside, so no obstruction or interference for me (maybe i'm selfish but what do i care if my passenger bumps every now and then?). Thirdly, i like the way my mike is hung on my dash, because its easy to reach, easy to put up, so its not always lying in my lap or flopping around.

clint said:
How about above the mirror?? I'm not sure of the older XJ's but in my 2000, I have it above the mirror and it does not obstruct the view in any way. In the picture the cord is hanging over it, but you can move that around easily.

main.php

On the newer XJ's, there are 2 screws for the little plastic things that hold the sun visors from flapping around. I just made a bracket to fit across there, drilled some holes to match the CB bracket and then used the screws I took out. No holes drilled into the actual Jeep. You can't see it in the picture, but I did put the plastic things back on as well. I think mine is a Cobra 19dx or something like that.

d10shun said:
DSC03580.jpg

Yep, that's where I put mine also but my CB is a smaller Cobra Ultra II. Fits good.

Rob $.02

d10shun said:
DSC03580.jpg

Does your knee/leg not hit that bouncing ?? Thats why I put mine in the dash

LS1Jeep said:
Does your knee/leg not hit that bouncing ?? Thats why I put mine in the dash

Nope. The only issue I would say I have, is trying to hear it @ freeway speeds, because the speaker points @ my feet. It's not an issue on the trail though. I'm going to get a remote speaker to solve this problem. I also have twin sticks & a manual, & have no issues for room. But like I said, I have the smaller Ulta II radio & I mounted as far to the right as possible. It's a perfect fit for me.

Rob $.02

Knees don't hit. I guess if your 6'2" it would be a problem. I thought about the passenger side trans hump but that makes the mic out of reach.

Back