• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How would 4.56s, 31s and an Auto be?

condoor

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on running 31s for at least the next year or so, but I may eventually move to a 32s or 33s. I'm wanting to go ahead and regear now, and I'm torn between 4.10s and 4.56s. Anyone running 4.56s and 31s with the auto that can let me know how it is?

thx
-c

a little high on the RPM...........not the end of the world............if you don't wanna search, at least scroll through the next 4 or 5 pages, this get's covered about once a page........

different people have different preferences or requirements, so it may very.

4.56 and 31's =great offroad/higher RPM on street.............not my preference

One of our locals is 4.56/31 right now, he says its good around town but runs a bit high on the rpm's on the highway. 4.10's with anything more than 31's sucks, so you should ask..

would you rather have it suck for a year now, or suck for several years later?

;)

-C

I imagine it might be a little like the 33's and 4.88s I'm running right now.

If you can keep your foot out of it and don't mind cruisin between 60-65mph (~2250-2500rpm) its not too bad.

Thanks Cal, that's a good way to put it. I'd be curious as to what the difference in RPMs is running 4.56s with 31s compared to with 33s. (all with the auto) FYI - I live in CO and drive less than five miles a day on average, but I want to be able to run 75 out to moab without the engine screaming at me.

scorpio_vette - I've read all the gear/tire charts (read the sticky post), spent some time with the beloved search function, scrolled eight pages deep in the current forum, and didn't see this exact subject.

I was hoping to get some feedback from someone actually running this setup (or at least close experience with it like cal). I can guess and interpolate all day long, but it's no substitute for talking to someone that's 'been there done that'.

Great forum btw! I'm 'crossing over' from six years with wranglers to something with more room and more comfy! :D

i did it for quite a few months. loved it. i hate 4.56s and 35s, sure rpm was a bit high on the freeway, but i'm still getting the same kind of gas mileage now with 35s just without any of the power.

I was hoping to get some feedback from someone actually running this setup (or at least close experience with it like cal). I can guess and interpolate all day long, but it's no substitute for talking to someone that's 'been there done that'.

you are correct, but that's why i said that it also depends on preference......some people don't mind screaming engines, others don't mind going slower than a bicycle, and others won't accept anything but perfection..........in the end you'll have to choose which you want????

personally i prefer having numerically higher gears, that way i have more acceleration power, and i can step up a tire size without having to re-gear.

condoor said:

Prior to my current setup, I ran 4.56's with 32's for a year and a half, and then 4.56's with 35's for a few months before regearing to 4.88. 4.56/32's, i ran a bit high rpms on the highway, but i could cruise at 75 at 3k without any real problem. When I threw the 35's on, I had to shift to 3rd to go up large hills on the highway (non HO motor). I imagine 4.10 and 33 would be simular to 4.56 and 35's .. and let me tell you, it sucked. :)

the 4.0 doesnt seem to mind RPM's.

I ran it for a short while on my old 87 and loved it. Was a lot of fun. I only had it like that for a while so I don't remember how highway driving was really but I can imagine the 4.0 wil take it easily. It was made to handle it no prob----------Kyle

I'm running 4.10's and 30", I like it and I get a little better mileage in town. I will soon go to 31" when I need tires, but I'm going to miss that killer power around town! If you plan on going 32" or bigger definitly go 4.56.

I ran that combo for about 6mon. Loved it. At 75 the rpm's were a little high,but the engine was not "screaming" imo. JIM.

I would try and make up your mind now on what tires to run. Or just get the 33 now and regear of the 35 That would also mean just one lift one trim. Get the Long arms and get it over. You wll save $$$ in the long run do a LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! less work. Also if you get a kit the parts all tend to work together or atleast you will just need one number on your speed dailer to call for help. luck

Last edited:
Do you have the Chrysler 8.25, if so, there seems to be only one option....go with 4.56's it's the deepest you can go anyway

Back