• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel shimmy at 50mph

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i have a wheel shimmy from about 45mph to about 55mph. I ca'nt figure it out. My only guess is that my 33" Trxus MT are just no balanced. I balanced them about 4 months ago. Do i really have to balance every few months?? it sounds unrealistic. Anyway any ideas? I got alignment when i got tires 4 months ago.

33's are --in my opinion--- the last decent size tire to balance, but because of it's size --and usually agressive tread-- they can get out of balance easier..

i wouldn't try the innovative balancing....it has some downsides for offroading.......to doing a search for "airsoft pellets" ........you'll find all you need.

have you checked your wheel bearings? I had a shimmy at speed in the wheel that was a loose wheel bearing.

2 things that are "extremely" common but hardly ever talked about.That is losing wheel weights and spinning the tires on the rim.Almost everyone in our club has started "indexing" their tires and keeping track of "wheel weight sizes/positions",its helped alot.Only a couple even air down below 14psi.I was right behind a budy of mine when he peeled off a 8oz weight,"I asked him if he wanted me to pick that up for him"(ha ha)!

I have your answer its called Road Force i use to work at Discount Tire Co, take it their or Americas Tire co. ask them to Road Force your tires,they will be able to match up the heavy spot on your tire with a light spot on the rim or vice versa its usually about $40 but its worth it.

Ya know, I have 31" BFG AT's. I have the exact problem. I really thought I was dealing with a wheel bearing issue or tie rod/ball joint thing. The tracking of the vehicle is dead straight though and there's no play when you grab the tire at 12 and 6. I figured I'd start with a balance and rotation. It worked and was MUCh smoother. Right after that I wheeled and aired down to about 10psi. I have the exact same shimmy now. I haven't balanced them again but will this weekend. Stabilizer is new too.

One of the bearing is new. I checked the other one and its still solid. no play in it. I am pretty sure its just bad tires even though they are fairly new. I will look into those other options. thanks

Back