• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Drive Shaft Help

XCountryRunner69

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so I took my jeep (96 2 Door XJ) in because it was making this aweful squeaking noise and they said that the front drive shaft needed to be replaced and they wanted $500 to replace it. So right now I'm trying to find a front drive shaft to do it myself and I can't. I've tried searching and I didn't find anything that helped. So I was wondering if anyone knew a site that sold new front drive shaft. I would prefer to get one that is better that stock, but beggers can't be choosers because I need one asap. Please message me back if you can help. Thanks Brad

Have you tried removing the shaft, just to make sure that's the source of the squeak? If it is, check the u-joints for side-side play. If they have zerk fittings, grease them. Also lube the centering ball in the double joint with a needle fitting on a grease gun as it's prone to making squeaking noises when the grease dries up.

Yeah, the dealer price on the shaft is around $420 plus labor. If you really need to replace the shaft (doubt it), try a local driveline shop.

The centering ball in the CV joint is usually what squeaks like raped birds.
you could take your shaft out and have it totally rebuilt for 1/4 of that price

lawsoncl said:
Also lube the centering ball in the double joint with a needle fitting on a grease gun as it's prone to making squeaking noises when the grease dries up.

My XJ is making the same squeaking noise he's describing. Do you know of anywhere that has a pic of what your describing? I know the general area, just not quite sure what you're talking about.

Like everyone above has stated, make sure that is what you need.
If the shaft itself is not visually damaged there is "probably" nothing wrong with it.
It is most likely the U-joints. (Approx $18.00 each) You can also find a driveline/machine shop that can balance it for you if you have ripped the balancing weight off. Before you do anything, follow lawsoncl's advice; pull it out and see if the noise goes away. If it does and everything looks undamaged replace the u-joints and call it a day.

If you do need to replace it call Tom Wood's. I have used them several times with great results. I haved called them on a Monday, they built it on Tuesday and it was on my porch Wednesday.
www.4xshaft.com

Where in Washington are you?
I Googled "Driveline Shops Washington" and came up with a big list.
Try doing the same but put your city in there.
One result was:
"Murls Driveline Service 3628 E Broadway Ave, Spokane, WA 99202"

Last edited:
Dvipercop said:
My XJ is making the same squeaking noise he's describing. Do you know of anywhere that has a pic of what your describing? I know the general area, just not quite sure what you're talking about.

Look in the center of the double cardan from the back (looking forward from the xfer case). You should see a rubber cup. Use a needle fitting on a grease gun to shoot some grease in there. You probably should also grease the u-joints if you can. Some have a small fitting on the end of the cap that can be removed to shoot grease in that way. If you don't have a needle fitting, you could try shooting some WD-40 in there just to see if that helps.

Back