• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Performance Gains With The APN Header?

Bigsurf75

NAXJA Forum User
I read the long thread here about the Banks knock off header and supposedly everyone liked it.

However, I am curious, are there are signifigant performance gains or is this strictly a stock replacement?

Thanks

i dont know if u can get more power with a replacement header, that replaces a header.

now if u went with a high flow cat ,muffler and exaust, u might see some difference.

I took my cat off, and put a good aftermarket muffler on, seems alot better. Mind u that the cat was almost pluged.

I still need to replace my cracked header.

IIRC, there are minimal gains because it doesn't have long collector tubes. I don't know WHY, but that's what I've read. I have the Mike Leach header (no longer manufactured) on my '96 and I'm satisfied that it did increase performance significantly. Conversely, I saw no gains by going to 2.5" exhaust and magnaflow muffler :dunno:

As of right now, I have a K&N hi flow filter, rustys air tube, 60mm bored out TB, stock header, down pipe and cat, and a rustys flowmaster 50 cat back.

I will soon be gutting the cat as there are no inspections here in FL.

So, would using this header in conjunction with the mods already on my Jeep provide any increase in performance?

Also, what about some of the ebay headers that claim 10-15 horsepower gains? Are they legit, or just stock replacements?

Bigsurf75 said:
Oops- here is the link for those of you who don't know.
http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/viewprd.asp?idProduct=20009

I would expect minimal performance gain, if any, from that header. Although the primary pipes are longer than those of the stock manifold, the secondaries are almost non-existent so it's basically a 6-into-1 shorty header. That won't boost midrange torque at all.
Consider it as a stock replacement. The 10-15hp gains claimed for some of those e-bay headers is hogwash. You might gain 10hp if you combine a long tube header with a mandrel-bent downpipe.

lilredwagn said:
IIRC, there are minimal gains because it doesn't have long collector tubes. I don't know WHY, but that's what I've read. I have the Mike Leach header (no longer manufactured) on my '96 and I'm satisfied that it did increase performance significantly. Conversely, I saw no gains by going to 2.5" exhaust and magnaflow muffler :dunno:

Yes, primaries are where the header will emphasize torque. For a straight 6 the primaries should be about 36-inches long to maximize all available torque, IIRC. I also have a high-flow cat, muffler and 2.5" tailpipe and noticed quite a bit of difference at higher RPM, and maybe a little (very little) loss at low RPM. This header has pretty minimal primaries, maybe a bit better than stock but not enough for me to spend my time and money on. If you already torn the entire thing apart, just do it right while you are there.

The further from the engine you are the less effect your changes will make, so I'm sure you Leach header made considerably more difference than the tailpipe would have. I'm looking forward to a header on mine, I've pretty much decided on the Clifford but it won't go on till the new head is ready, it's getting ported/polished and decked about 0.002 inches.

Hmm, Well, after reading about as much information about this header as I think possible, I decided it wouldn't provide the performance gains I'm looking for.

Then after researching other headers marketed as performance headers, I decided I didn't want to spend that much money lol.

I have decided however to gut my current cat, or purchase a hi-flow model. And after that I am going to the exhaust shop to get a new down pipe made. I have been talking to dino savva and these are some things he has reccomended.

Hmm, Well, after reading about as much information about this header as I think possible, I decided it wouldn't provide the performance gains I'm looking for.

Then after researching other headers marketed as performance headers, I decided I didn't want to spend that much money lol.

I have decided however to gut my current cat, or purchase a hi-flow model. And after that I am going to the exhaust shop to get a new down pipe made. I have been talking to dino savva and these are some things he has reccomended.

Back