• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broke an axle and my Detroit quit working 2 days later

PhunkXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just like the title says, during the last day of BOTW I broke an outer shaft, got off the trail swapped a new one in and headed to Moab the next morning. We wheeled all day with no problems and half of the next day, then I put the jeep on it's side and after that the locker quit working.

if the locker broke because of the broken axle, shouldn't it have quit working immediately? is there any way I can tell if the broken axle was the culprit?

I'm worried that Detroit won't warranty the locker.

Once in a while a broken axle will shock load a Detroit and break it. It's more likely to happen on the smaller axles that have smaller components, but they won't warrenty it. I think you can buy the part and fix it......depending on what it is.

Bummer.......

yeah, bummer is right!

Ror is gonna pull it on Sunday, we'll see what it looks like then. Maybe it's time to explore other front locker options, this only lasted 9 mos. and I'm not swapping lockers everytime I break an axle.

I'm debating whether it's even worth going through the process of dropping it off at the vendor for them to ship back to Detroit.

your screwed they won't warranty it .the parts to fix it can be ordered but most likely since you continued to drive on it that both clutch plates along with the spider assembly are all toast.the cost for the full rebuild kit are just under the price of a new locker.

Back