• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee D44's

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hey!

I have been offered a pair of Dana 44 axles out of a 1977 Cherokee. The front axle has the pumpkin on the driver side, and they are 6 lug. What do you guys think of thease axles in my 1988 Cherokee XJ? How wide are those axles compared to the ones i have already (D30/35)? I know RE sells a bracket kit for the front axle to mount the control arms and springs. Should i buy thease axles? I have an ARB for a D44, so I think it's perfect. I haven't seen them yet, but will next weekend and pick them up then if i decide to buy.

Thanks in advance!
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Also check to confirm that the front is driver-side drop. I thought in '77 they were still passenger side drop.

both the Dana20 and QT had pass drop front anxles. (these were the only 2 xfer cases from Jeep until 1980).

And the rear is offset...but only a little.

The D-20 axle is NOT offset, the Q-trac is offset about 6 inches.

The 77 should be passenger side drop.

CRASH

Thanks!
Have seen the axles, and the front was passenger drop, so I didn't buy it. The rear was not offset, and had come out of another Cherokee or Wagoneer, and was in really good shape, so I bought that one. Now what is the best candidate for the front? I have seen people using 1978-79 Bronco D44's up front in Cherokee XJ's, but those are so rare in Norway that it's almost impossible to find one. What other alternatives do you guys recommend? Scout, Ford F-series, Chevy? Please help me with this boys, becouse you know better than me!

Thanks on advance!
Arnt H. Andresen
Tronddheim, Norway

How big of tires you going to run?...IMO the D30 is a very good unit with 297x Ujoints. if you want to make it even beefier do a 5 on 5.5" full float conversion and you have one stout axle that should hold up easily up to 36's!:D

Back