• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buying front axles w/u-joints

XJsuperman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.....I've searched all over......obviously I am missing something.

I want to get a new pair of front axles with u-joints already installed.....pull out my current ones for spares. They have over 100K on them (I bought the jeep like that) and for piece of mind I want to get new ones put in as I am concerned for the original u-joints.

BUT I can't seem to find anywhere on-line that I can order them from....so where can I get them with 297's already in them?

Also....concerning front axles.....how do I tell for 100% sure if I have ABS or not? I keep hearing folks saying that getting axles for an ABS equipped vehicle is different from a non-ABS vehicle?????? Mine is a '98 SE 4.0L AW-4 D-30/8.25.....if that helps.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

Odds are that you don't have it... it seems to be that they didn't put the 8.25 axle on vehicles w/ ABS. To know for sure, you can look for the wires running near the brake line in the front and/or rear, and the ABS pump next to the brake master cylinder underhood. The shaft difference, BTW, is whether or not the tone rings are present.

shafts, replacment

I've never done business with these guys, but the price seems OK.
I think Ive seen a complete assembly (one side) for 115$ but I don't remmember where

20 5252584 Axle Shaft Assembly for Passenger Side without ABS $139.95
20 4874306
Axle Shaft Assembly Passenger Side for Front Dana-30 without Disconnect with ABS $159.95
20 83506205 Axle Shaft Assembly - Driver Side - Without ABS $131.00
20 4713189 Axle Shaft Assembly - Driver Side - With ABS $154.00

http://www.tellico4x4.com/axle/fd30without.htm

Back