• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible rough idle solution

katydid

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading some of the other threads about rough idle and none that I've read mention the "Throttle Position Sensor." I have a 98 XJ with almost 200,000 miles on it and for months the idle had been getting worse. Originally it was only after I started it and then had to come to a complete stop that it'd rev and drop almost dying. Then it started to surge and race after I started it and wouldn't stop until I'd put it in brake and stepped on the gas peddle a couple of times. Most recently it started surging while I was driving.

During this process I'd also had the dealership tell me that I was having transmission problems and that at my truck's age and mileage it was best to just replace the entire transmission.

I bought my own code reader and sure enough there were codes relating to the transmission and half a couple of circuit codes and one lone little code relating to the TPS performance. I replaced the TPS the day before yesterday, erased all of my codes and have been driving it without problems since. I've checked to see if any new codes where forming a couple of times and to this point they've all seemed to clear up with that one fix.

Hope that helps someone.

Thanks!
Katydid

Back