• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating on Idle

Boostn

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

My 94 XJ is overheating little bit on idle. It would reach to about 220-240 degrees. But if I put it in neutral and rev it up at any speed higher than idle (1300+ rpm), the temp gauge quickly goes back down to 190-200 degrees where it should be. The clutch fan seems to be blowing really good and when its off, I can still turn the fan by hand and still shows signs of some resistance. I think its fine. So I am wondering if my water pump is going bad or my belt??

Thanks.

do u have an auxilary electric fan, if u do is it turning on?

no they should come on when it gets to a certain temp (forget degree), im not sure if u have a sensor in the rad - if u have one it should be on drivers side of rad.

or so you dont have to spend 38 bucks on one.... go to auto zone and get a switch. dig around in your junk drawer and find some wire. put it in. done.

the auxilary fan seems to work fine if I disconnect the coolant temp sensor. I think the damn thing needs a flush again because it was pretty damn rusty when I got it :( Oil level is still perfect if you are thinking it might be head gasket :)

I have already replaced the thermostat and radiator and flushed it. When I took the thermostat housing out, thermostat litterally fell apart in pieces and I could see plenty rust in the block :( So I tried flushing it real good which did help for few months. Now coolant is brown again, so I guess there is still more rust to clean off :(

Flush it and replace the radiator, also when you make up your 50/50 mix of coolant use distilled water...

rckclmbr said:
or so you dont have to spend 38 bucks on one.... go to auto zone and get a switch. dig around in your junk drawer and find some wire. put it in. done.

they have rasied the price since i got mine last year
its still really not that mich money and you might try joining NAXJA too

where is the engine coolant temp switch on this 94 4.0L? The engine coolant temp sensor is fine. My auxilary fan is not coming on when it should :( The aux fan relay is fine. It will come on when A/C is on and when I unplug the engine coolant temp sensor. The engine coolant temp sensor is reading within specs for resistance and voltage at given temperature.

i went and bought an aftermarket sensor and relay, the temp never goes over 120 deg F.

jeepdude10000 said:
i went and bought an aftermarket sensor and relay, the temp never goes over 120 deg F.

that sounds too low, I wonder if your sensor is off from specs or got some other problem.

seems to run way better than before, but i have been replacing and fixing so much lately, but my XJ is running better that ever.

Temp sending unit is on the rear driver side of the top of the head, and the the sensor the tells the fan when to kick on is in the thermostat housing. For the temp sending unit, I think it is 14mm and use a deep socket and be careful...it will break!

Back