• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stumblin, stinkin, smoking 99' newbee

ahm

NAXJA Forum User
hello, got problem w/ 99' XJ. its spitting black soot from tail pipe, smellin fuel, and stumbling when accel, rough idle, almost stalling when braking. all started after rain storm w/ lots of puddle jumpin. new plugs are black. i put on new cap & rotor, water remover in tank w/ cleaner. sprayed carb cleaner on all vac lines. ANY suggestions would be appreciated:passgas:

i would suggest to put a vacuum gauge on. it almost sounds like a cat problem.

I don't know anything about a '99. But, if that was my '88 or my wife's '91 I would be checking for a broken or slipped-off vacuum line to the MAP sensor or a defective MAP sensor. Don

thanks for info,
I changed TPS and MAP sensor yesterday (6/6) because of bad volt readings, no more black crap from tailpipe but stumble cont.. serv. eng. light came on and got trouble code P0171. i cleaned my new O2 sensors and the serv. eng. light came back today, i'm replacing spark plugs and test fuel pressure. any info please?
thanks Aaron

does the 99 still have a distributor or is that COP? If it has a distributar then I would check under the cap. If moisture got in there it would arc inside the cap and not fire plugs properly.

relaced cap and rotor last sunday to due dampness in cap. no help. i placed some dialectric gease on all plugs plus cap and rotor. i'll check cap tonight.
thanks

doh, I glosses right over where you said cap and rotor.
Any chance that you got the ignition coil wet too?

I think that you should get a spark tester and see what your spark looks like. Should be a fat blue spark. Thin and yellow is weak.
If you've got good spark then I'd start looking at fuel/timing stuff.

spark tester shows 2 spark plug wires are no good(not replaced yet), what are good wires? replaced champion plugs w/ autolite. jeep drove 10 miles perfectly before hesitation started, probably wires.
thanks for info

changed plug wires. cleaned both O2 and air temp sensor in intake. checked cat converter(OK). so far truck is running better.
thanks for help

Back