• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New B NP242 Question

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 with a NP231 and someone offered me an NP242 from an old 89.
From my search here, I found that the only thing I need is "to swap in a 23 spline gear". Is this true? Can someone explain to me in veeery simple terms what that is and what are its cost/availability? Anything else I need to swap?
Is there anything that I should be looking for when I see the tcase? What questions I might ask? I have to make up my mind tonight (or at least that is what I was told...).
Thanks in advance
Boris
P.S BTW, the asking price is $100, is this ok?

Last edited:
The pre-96 242's have the same slip yoke setup as the pre-'96 231's, which means doing an SYE will cost you about $100 more than if you picked up a 96+ 242.
$100 is fair, but it's not such a great deal that you'll never see it again, and the case is old enough it will probably need a new chain.
Personally I'd wait for a 242 from a 96+

lilredwagn said:
The pre-96 242's have the same slip yoke setup as the pre-'96 231's, which means doing an SYE will cost you about $100 more than if you picked up a 96+ 242.
$100 is fair, but it's not such a great deal that you'll never see it again, and the case is old enough it will probably need a new chain.
Personally I'd wait for a 242 from a 96+

Thanks for your answer. I don't know exactly what SYE is, but from search, can tell that it is something you need when you have more than 2" lift. I am stock and don't plan on installing a lift. Would I still need a SYE to fit the older 242? What are the going prices for a 242 from 96+?
Thanks,
Boris

Back