• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking 91 231 T.C.

red91

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed a small leak in my TC this morning, and slapped in the spare seal along with a rebuilt driveline.

Lubed up the driveline so as to not cut the seal...and everything looked normal.

after getting to work today notice that it is leaking enough to really stink up everything...burning on the cat.

this is the second time in as many months as this has happened....

and it only occured after I put the RE 4.5 lift in the rig...

I have 2 drivelines one about an inch shorter than the other ( the rebuilt one) figureing that it was the end of the yoke scaring the seal and making it leak, but it has gotten worse.

Wondering if I can RTV the inner part of the seal, but it looks like it is actually coming out from the rubber part of the seal from around the driveshaft itself.

Anyone got some ideas ? Cant afford to have the t-case go out.

????? :dunno:

at a loss here...

Red

Upgrade your TC with an SYE kit and your problems will go away. Or, using your existing drive shaft, polish the slip yoke and replace the seal. To polish the yoke, take some 600-800 grit sandpaper and clean all the dirt and rust off of it. Then, use a buffing wheel and some compound, polish it to a mirror finish. Removing the yoke from the drive shaft makes this a lot easier.

Another problem that maybe causing this, is drive line vibrations. Vibrations can cause the rear bearing in the TC to ware and the shaft may wobble enough to cause the seal to leak. If, your having drive line vibrations it maybe time to upgrade to an SYE (slip yoke eliminator) kit.

replace the yoke bushing in the tail cone. or find a tail cone with a good bushing in it, or your best bet is to do the SYE

same thing is happening to me right now. my 231 spit out all but .3 qts of fluid. so i drained it, put new t-case rear output shaft seal (extension housing seal) on and drove to my softball game, (5 miles away), drove home, parked in garage, looked next day and got a big puddle leaking around where the rubber meets the yoke. I have the RE 3.5" superflex kit with 1" t-case drop. Do i need a sye? will that solve my probs for good, for sure?

john

Back