• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sanden Compressor Issues

jbird

NAXJA Forum User
Hi-
I am a very novice technician. I usually find all of the information I need in the forum by searching, but was unsuccessful this time. I am trying to diagnose an issue with what I believe is the A/C compressor.

VEHICLE: 2001 Cherokee LE 4.0L V6, 95K mi.

My A/C compressor is making a lot of noise. There is also a strange burning smell that I have noticed lately. The noise level varies. Sometimes is gets very loud when I initally start the vehicle and then quiets down a bit after 30 seconds or so. The noise (tone/loudness) certainly changes when the A/C is turned on or off.

I am fairly certain that the noise is coming from the A/C compressor which is the unit behind the serpentine belt labeled Sanden R134a.

Does this mean that the compressor will need to be replaced?
How urgent is this to address?
How much could I expect to pay for this replacement by an average mechanic? I would not be able to handle the work myself.

Thanks!

Could be the pulley clutch.
If it has any metallic sound check for signs of metal shavings below the gap between the compressor and pulley. Look around on any flat area right next to he compressor as the shaving could be blown around by the fan. If you see any, the clutch is gone.

How do you find out about metal shaving under the hood. Well, it start with a statment like "Honey, the car has been making a strange sound..."

Back