• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powering a CB. HELP

oo7ravisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
How'd you guys power your cb's? I have a 97 and have looked at both the fuse box under the hood and on the passenger side under the glovebox. Using the fuse box under the hood doesnt seem practal because of all the harnessing stock wires that keep me from making it a clean install. I'd use the other fuse box, but i dont understand the wire markings and whether or not they are acessory fuses (whick i want my CB to be powered by). Or how about just using the cig lighter. Thanks for reading. -Travis

i just did my cb and i used an adapter that goes on the fuse and i used an open fuse slot, piece of cake i got the ground right next to the fuse box ill try to get pics tommorow

I actuallt took an old phone charger and spliced the wires and added a new power outlet and just plug in the cb when i need it. and i now can plug in other things when needed. the plug is hot so anything can be plugged in at anytime.

jsolorza said:
i just did my cb and i used an adapter that goes on the fuse and i used an open fuse slot, piece of cake i got the ground right next to the fuse box ill try to get pics tommorow
Where did you get that fuse adapter from?

On my 2000 I spliced in to the cigar lighter wiring. I used the right one that is always hot, but if you prefer you could use the left one the is only on with the key on.

scoobyxj said:
On my 2000 I spliced in to the cigar lighter wiring. I used the right one that is always hot, but if you prefer you could use the left one the is only on with the key on.

I did use the left one so that it is hot only with the key. Sometimes a pain because the key must be on for the radio to be on.... But also will not drain the bat if I forget and leave the radio on.

Jeff

I connected mine to the battery last night via the wiring I ran for my offroad lights.

I had been using a cigarette lighter thing I got at Radio Shack. it had a green switch/light on the lighter plugin piece so I know when it's on, and a 8foot cable, I connected that to the power cable for the CB and was good to go. even loaned it and a mag-mount antenna to a TJ guy to use on a trail ride :) that's probably the easiest way to go. I had tried using a fuse tap, or whatever they're called and it wouldn't fit in my fusebox.

it's not too hard to run power from the battery (although I'd run it from the accessory box next to the battery). the hard part is finding a good spot to go through the firewall. I wanted to run my wires through the passenger side, but ended up using the big grommet on the drivers side.

Back