• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cost to replace compressor and evaporator

DrPepper

NAXJA Forum User
My bro's compressor and evaporator went out on him. They live in houston and they've been quoted like 2900 bucks to replace the two.
Anyone know how much it should really cost?
Anyone know of any place in houston or austin that would replace it for less?

Evap is pure labor on a $200 part, thats what kicks it up to $1000, 8 hours of labor to remove the seats then the dashboard and pull the heater box out, also means removing the heater core too which means draining the cooling system. The compressor is only like $500 NIB. I'd get a quote on the evap and then slap a new compressor and drying tower on it. This is based on my 98XJ but it's also the same price for the TJ as they share a common dash and interior setup. It's alot of work....

That sounds a little high, I'd say probably closer to 2 grand. But that depends on the labor rate and exact cost of parts. Call around and get estimates from other shops.

Back