• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few bolt sizes....

MoparManiac

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, gonna change my friends u-joints and was just wondering what a couple of the bolt sizes were. Need to know what size the hub nut is and the bolts that hold the hub onto the knuckle. I went out to do them today and i dont have a socket big enough for the hub nut and wasn't sure about the knuckle bolts. Also, does the dana 30 have the inner seal or outer seal in the axle tube? Thanks a bunch guys, gotta become a member soon this site has helped me so much.

The knuckle bolts are 13 mm, but if previous use has banged up the heads, or you have trouble with a 13 mm socket, 1/2 inch will often work better. It's a very tight fit and must be tapped on with a hammer, but won't damage the bolts.

The dana 30 has an inner seal. There's a dust shield on the axle, but no seal behind it. If you have the plastic dust shield (older ones have metal) the tabs that hold it together break easily. If you drill these out you can hold it together tightly with a nylon wire tie. Be careful putting the axles back in. Make sure they're nice and clean, and don't drag grit from the outside of the axle tube in with them, to avoid seal damage.

If you use a slide hammer or to hammer on the hub flange to get it off (they can be very stubborn - search here will turn up numerous posts on this), then after loosening the axle nut, screw it back finger tight, and this will prevent you from accidentally pulling the hub apart.

To save yourself some trouble............be sure to get a 12 point socket in both 13mm and 1/2" . Use lots of antisize on the hub mating surface when putting it all back together (that way when you have to disasemble it in the future, you should be able to pull a shaft in about 10 minutes)

Back