• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 click,not brakes or ujoints question

97xjstock

NAXJA Forum User
i searched and most didnt post a follow-up

my '97 chrysler 8.25 w. 119,000 miles is making a clicking sound,,,only heard it when i was slowing to a stop,,,,,went click,click,click only when almost stopped and up until the stop. no click on acceleration. Jacked it up and pulled driveshaft,,,not it,,,,pulled drums and cleaned brakes,,not it,,,changed fluid,,not it,,,there is no play when pushing the axle up down or left and right,no noise while making turns,no noticable "whirrrrrrrrrrr" while driving,,with it jacked up and in neutral and driveshaft out,,,,if you turn the axles you hear a clicking like baseball cards in the spokes of a bicycle,,,any clues?

when u changed flid did u check clearences on ring and pinion?

Since this noise happens while you're slowing down, I take it your foot is on the brake pedal at that time?

I'd look toward the brakes a little bit more. When you cleaned them, did you check all the hardware and contact points?

can u guys tell me how to check and what to look for ref. clearances w the ring and pinion,,(i know what all the parts are/look like,,,just dont know where/how to measure)

it makes the noise even with the drums off so nothing seem to be contacting the brakes,,

thanks for the help

i rechecked the click,,,,it "seems" to be coming from the ends of the axle shafts (not towards the center of the diff,,) but....there is no play in the axles(by pulling up/down/left/right on it) and i hear nothing on turns,,i took it for a spin around the neighborhood and turned it off and coasted down hills and heard nothing,,,,,,,,since i changed the fluid you dont hear the clicking when the weight is on the ground,,,only when there is no weight on the tires/vehicle is jacked up,,,,,,,,,and the drivers side seems a little louder than the pass side,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,does this sound like axle/wheel bearings? minus the usual symptoms.....

Since nothing else seems to work, try doing this...

First of all, DON'T set the parking brake. Block the front wheels to keep your rig from rolling. Now, jack up the rear end and remove the wheels. Pull the drums off to make sure they are not sticking or crooked, and reseat them. While your at it, clean off any dust and debris. Reinstall the drums making sure they seat loosely as far as they can onto the lug nuts. Put the wheels back on and retorque to specs.

What happens is if you have the parking brake set, before your remove the rear wheels; the tension on the e-brake will "shift" the drums on the lugs when you remove the wheel. The drums ride rather loosely on the lug nuts as you may notice. With the drum cocked on the lugs, you are not seating the wheels and drums down tightly; which results in a minor wobble on your drums, creating the clicks you hear.

I've had repeated success eliminating the clicking noise on my 8.25 by doing this procedure...go figure...

Ivan

it does it with the drums off,,,,,,,does anyone know of a free/easy websie to post videos,,,,,,,,? i taped it to show a mechanic buddy of mine (he hasnt seen it yet)

Back