• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rockkrawler 3-link Install Issue:cut through upper mount

BlueXJ1013

NAXJA Forum User
We finally got the rubber bushing and metal sleeve out of the mount above the pumpkin. The only problem is that we cut into the mount about 80% with the sawzall(the mount was still hot and the saw had a fresh blade, stupid mistake but it happens). Will it be strong enough to notch a V out of the cut and fill it in with a welder?? Or are we looking at an axle swap here. Any opinions would be appreciated as we are right in the middle of this issue, thanks in advance.

austin send me a pic, ill see what i can do for ya, if its too damaged we'll cut it off and ill make you a truss

tealcherokee said:
austin send me a pic, ill see what i can do for ya, if its too damaged we'll cut it off and ill make you a truss

Thanks Ryan, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, so we filled it in nicely with the welder and it seems extremely solid. Ill just have to keep an eye on it. Other than that it came out real well.

the only problem that bothers me is that its cast. honestly, you might want to consider boxing up and plating the passanger side mount and using that for your link

once you score cast it cracks like glass on that edge, and its also hard to weld, you should really do it with alot of pre and post heat, and a high nickle filler

Okay, how hard to make that truss? That sounds like the best option, also kills two birds with one stone. Do you think the welds will hold as a temporary cure until it's fixed?

Back