• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end noise...

beckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Before you say so... I searched.

Now onto my questions. Well, ever since I installed my Rusty's (non-adjustable lowers only) control arms I've been getting a little bit of a rattle/clunking noise from my front end. It tends to do it when I brake, reverse then change directions (drive), and at different times. So, I'm asking you guys what you think that this noise could be coming from. I checked, and the bolts on the arms are tight, so I don't think that's the problem. Could it possibly be the bushings on the upper control arms? Perhaps the tracbar now that the axle is aligned differently underneath the Jeep? What all should I be looking at to test. This problem is on my 96 XJ with about 3.5" of front end lift. I am open to all ideas. Thanks in advance.

I have the Rusty's 4.5 lift and was having the same symptoms you describe. I too thought it was the arms, but after some investigating, I found out it was the track bar nut that kept coming loose on the "frame" side. Even with the cotter pin installed the bolt would somehow work itself loose every couple weeks. It allows the front axle to walk around and it it's my belief that it puts stress on the arms causing the symptoms your describing. I would reccomend stepping up to a RE extra heavy duty track bar and the track bar bracket that goes with it. It changes the way the track bar is mounted on the "frame" side and gives you better angles. Much better than the Rusty's one which is just a thicker and adjustable copy of a stock track bar. HTH.

AZ XJ said:
I have the Rusty's 4.5 lift and was having the same symptoms you describe. I too thought it was the arms, but after some investigating, I found out it was the track bar nut that kept coming loose on the "frame" side. Even with the cotter pin installed the bolt would somehow work itself loose every couple weeks. It allows the front axle to walk around and it it's my belief that it puts stress on the arms causing the symptoms your describing. I would reccomend stepping up to a RE extra heavy duty track bar and the track bar bracket that goes with it. It changes the way the track bar is mounted on the "frame" side and gives you better angles. Much better than the Rusty's one which is just a thicker and adjustable copy of a stock track bar. HTH.

The track bar seems to be a likely candidate, but I'm still using the stock track bar. Seems like you're talking about an aftermarket version. I might not be understanding what you're saying though.

If your still using the stock track bar, than I would say that more than likely is the problem. I would tend to believe that at 3.5" over stock, the track bar is at too severe of an angle to be 100% effective. An aftermarket one will compensate for the extra lift, and should put your front end back into proper geometry. The track bar I was refering to is the one that comes with the rusty's 4.5" kit, and I wouldn't reccomend it. Go with RE or TnT.

you didnt search hard enough, ive said over 10s on here times how rustys arms are noisy. ill look em up if you dont beleive me. its the arms clunking where it screws. its not the bushing. grease them or put in jam nuts

Back