• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Im having trouble with pumping fast!

88poohxj

NAXJA Forum User
I hope that someone can help me with this, everytime i go to put some gas into my jeep it won't pump more than 10 cents at a time. It takes a very long time to fill up like this, i have no clue why it does this cause it seems to be sealing when i go to pump it and everything. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you, jesse

dont stick the spout ALL the way in, pull it back a little so the tip of the pump is just an inch into hole.

Yeah i tried that and it didnt change it though..good thing i have a parts jeep i guess. Im not sure if its tank will work, being a 1996 and all. The drivetrain from it is getting swapped into the 1986, so maybe i can put the newer tank in as well. I was planning on swapping it in as well once i start this project. Just looking for a quick fix. Next time im pumping ill only stick it an inch in though. Hope that works thank you also.

i've only seen this once, but try a different pump..........i used to frequent a gas station and always use the same pump......one day it started doing something similar, and turns out the pump nozzle had a clog in it.

it could also be that there is some kind of restriction in you filler tube that is causing it to build pressure and shut of the pump..........

chevy had a recall on one of their filler necks where the angle of it was to sharp and cause the fuel to build back pressure as it went in causing a similar condition.

so i would suspect some type of blockage in your filler neck........maybe somebody stuck something inside of it or somehow the filler neck got bend....

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like the second one...the fuel goes in, but doesn't drain down into the tank quickly enough, which then shuts the pump off when the fuel comes up. Ill check to see if its clogged or bent. Thanks again.

I had the exact same problem in an 88 that I bought. There are two hoses at the filler neck, one that the gas goes down and a vent tube that lets the air out thats being displaced by the gas going in. If the vent tube is kinked or blocked you will have exactly the symptom you are describing. It took me taking the filler tube out twice before I could get everything lined up correctly to prevent the air blockage.

Have you checked for a dent in the bottom? One of the features of the tank, at least on my old 87, was that the fill tube goes almost completely down to the bottom of the tank. This is also why even under the best circumstances it fills much slower when the tank is nearly full. I imagine that if you had a dent in just the right place it could make the gap at the bottom of the tube even smaller, enough to make it hard to fill at all.

I will check up on that one, although its getting dark over here in CAlifornia right now so ill have to look tomorow morning on the when i head to work. thanks

Back