• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Road Noise

mako

NAXJA Forum User
My kid has a 99' XJ Classic. Noticed that some road noise is coming from the front end, even in neutral on both transfer case and auto tranny.

I had hard time getting Right front wheel off and stud and entire hub were sizzling hot. When I rotate the wheels I feel some back lash and hear clunking. It does not look to be the U Joint.

.I assume it has a LS front diff because both front wheels move the front drive shaft when turned by hand.

Which front wheel is direct and which the LS wheel?

Also what would ccause such high temps at the hub? The seals do not appear to be bad. The diff has correct level of gear oil.

Any ideas where to start?

jack it up with the wheels on, and check for play, towards the jeep and back toward you. sounds like a hub assembly (unibearing, not greasable) is going out. take off the front drive shat and see if the noise is still there, but my bet is bad bearing in the hub.

any lift or mods? and does he wheel it any? if mud/water gets into these things, they detiorate.

There is no play in and out at the wheel. I will dothe drive shaft tomorrow.

I notice everything under there has some corrosion, like someone drove thru a creek or something. She only had it for about a year now.

I thought it was tires out of balance because I did hit a curb at 5 mph on RF tire before this noise started.

Only thing I have done before this started was new front brake pads. I think maybe a caliper sticking causing brake drag and heat? When I turm wheels by hand brakes definitely drag some.

But I started to think it was axle related too.

I've owned an 89 and two 93 XJ's and never ran into this before.

Back