• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about the 8.25...

Zice

NAXJA Forum User
I thought that all 8.25s had 4.10 gears in them from the factory... but ive seen alot that are like 3.55 or something other than 4.10... so my question is what gears does my 8.25 have in it? its a 96 2 door with 8.25 d30 aw4 all that good stuff feels like 4.10s could be wrong though...

Zice said:
I thought that all 8.25s had 4.10 gears in them from the factory... but ive seen alot that are like 3.55 or something other than 4.10... so my question is what gears does my 8.25 have in it? its a 96 2 door with 8.25 d30 aw4 all that good stuff feels like 4.10s could be wrong though...

mine came with 3.55, but its a 98. is yours a 27 or 29 spline? i'm taking a guess bet i'm gonna say yours has 3.55

shimmy said:
mine came with 3.55, but its a 98. is yours a 27 or 29 spline? i'm taking a guess bet i'm gonna say yours has 3.55
truthfully I dont know, I have never torn apart the axle so unless there is another way to know then I have no idea...

I think it goes like this regaurdless of rear end:
4.0 with manual=3.07
4.0 with auto = 3.55
4 cylinder =4.1

I may be wrong

96 and newer XJ's I believe came with 29 spline axles in the 8.25

2001XJ said:
96 and newer XJ's I believe came with 29 spline axles in the 8.25

All 97 and newer 8.25 are the 29 spline, some of the 96's are, not sure of the month they changed over.

check the diff cover on the front it should have a metal badge that will have the ratio stamped on it (mine did, if its rusty you may not be able to read it)the rear axle will match. if that is of no help look on the driver side of the 8.25 axle tube it might still have the sticker that will tell you the ratio and all of the build specs (once again mine fell off once it was touched with pb blaster so it may be long gone). Lastly the rear diff cover should have the metal badge mine broke off yours might still be there. hope this helps.

1996 Was the split year. I pulled some 27 spline axles out of a 96 the other day.

All diff covers have a tag to tell you what gears you have. No need to open them to find out.

I have seen one that had 3.73's. One of our part-time summer help kid, at work has 3.73/LS. 4.0 and 5 speed in his 98'. I climbed under it to confirm! Its the first later model XJ I have seen equipped from the factory with this set up.
Some guys have all the luck! He could go to 32" or 33" without a gear change since it is a 5 speed.

joeylead said:
Any idea when that 96 was built? I am trying to figure out if my 96 is either 26 or 29 spline. It was built in sept 06'.

100 says its not 26.

Jack the rear end up. Have a helper rotate one of the rear tires one complete revolution. Meanwhile, you get under the Jeep and count how many times the driveshaft turns.

If the driveshaft turns just over 3.5 times, you have 3.55 gears. If the driveshaft turns just over 4 times, you have 4.10 gears.

Last edited:
you'll have 3.55 gears in it. 4.0's with aw4's and 8.25's in the rear had 3.55 gears in them. if you think you might have something different, go out, mark a bearing cap or put a line on part of the driveshaft and rotate the tire one time. Count how many times the driveshaft turns and that'll tell you what your gear ratio is. I'm sure you can get pretty close to either 3.5 turns for 3.55's and 4 turns for 4.10's. Check it out.

xjohnnyc said:
Jack the rear end up. Have a helper rotate one of the rear tires one complete revolution. Meanwhile, you get under the Jeep and count how many times the driveshaft turns.

If the driveshaft turns just over 3.5 times, you have 3.55 gears. If the diveshaft turns just over 4 times, you have 4.10 gears.

Lol, I should have typed faster. xjohnnyc and i think the same! =)

53guy said:
Lol, I should have typed faster. xjohnnyc and i think the same! =)

Well, you know what they say about great minds. :)

Also, I have heard that the changeover month was something like March 96, but my 96 built in Jul has the 27 spline unit. as far as I know the only way to tell is remove the shaft and count splines. This can be kind of a PITA, I had to do it. Good luck!

Back