• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete Renix Exhaust System?? (searched)

TickDontPick

NAXJA Forum User
Well, since my manifold is cracked and my muffler is bent and cracked, I am considering re-doing the whole exhaust for my '89 XJ 4.0. It seems difficult to find aftermarket parts for the renix era, so does anyone have any suggestions for all of the exhaust components? I'm not looking to pay a whole lot, but I do want an upgrade from stock, and something that will flow nicely when I decide to do air intake etc.. Im looking for all exhaust parts that will work together (hopefully). Has anyone done this on their renix system?

Any suggestions would be nice, and if you have done this maybe I could get a ballpark price of what its gonna cost. Thanks!

Previous threads have kept this topic up to date. You can use the 91 up HO manifold, a Dorman aftermarket with double expansion tubes to prevent cracking, or buy an import copy of the Banks turbo style, which presently looks like the less costly and higher performance header. A search in the Mod tech will bring up the posting with photos and where to buy.

Along with the header( which is a PITA to change out) you might consider a 99 up intake and converted late model throttle body. The intake looks like the old Dodge rainbow 4 bbl type from the slant six days. The throttle body can be bored out and converted back to the Renix TPS; both operations have web pages that explain the procedure.

A 2 1/4 down pipe to the converter is reported the optimum size, especially if mandrel bent without the annoying factory restrictions. Really small high flow converters are available - from there back it's whatever you want, although glass pack mufflers are a noisy and horsepower robbing pain.

Exhaust pricing: plan $200 for the header, another $150 for the piping, converter $??. and shop it to death locally and on the net.

What about the EGR? The HO doenst have an EGR, can the renix system runm without it? Also would it be beneficial to swap out the intake manifold with the 91+? Would it just bolt up to it? What kind of exhaust and intake systems do the other renix people on here have????

The RENIX system will run fine without the EGR - mine only works for about a month every other year anyhow. I wish I could just delete it entirely - HC and CO are rather lower, and if NOx picks up as a result, I have no trouble (and would prefer) installing a water fogger or a water/alcohol fogger anyhow, since it works better and keeps the engine cleaner. Crapping up the intake doesn't seem like a good way to reduce emissions, y'ask me.

If you need to maintain the EGR valve (because you're in an area subject to the Air Police,) you can have a bung welded on the exhuast manifold, and rerun the tube.

I'd not expect the HO exhaust to fit right up to the RENIX head - I know the intakes are different, and the exhaust ports were reduced on the #0331 head (1999 or so,) but I don't recall exhaust differences between the #2686 (RENIX) head and the #7130/#0630 (1991-1995 and 1996-1998/9) heads. I haven't been able to collect any samples yet, either.

There are RENIX headers out there, just expect to spend a little more on them, because there are fewer RENIX engines than HO out there...

As long as you're about it, replace as much exhaust hardware as you can with brass or bronze - it will save you a lot of trouble later. Manifold bolts are 3/8"-16x1.25" (I just ordered a batch of hex heads...) and most exhaust clamps take a 5/16"-18 or 3/8"-16 nut. The collector nuts are 3/8"-16, and brass nuts should be readily available at hardware stores or boating supply shops.

Using brass and bronze eliminates the possibility of the nut seizing on the stud/bolt/whatever, and it has no trouble with the heat. I've been using brass/bronze hardware on exhaust for a good twenty years now...

5-90

Awesome, I will keep that in mind. Here in AZ, the cops arent worried about that kinda crap, so If the price is right I'll probably just ditch the EGR. Any suggestions on cats, cat-back, or tubing? This is probably gonna be a PITA, but with a craked manifold and muffler ill probably save in gas in the long run.

It will be a PITA no doubt, especially if you have broken bolts and you probably do. You should plan to fix everything the way you want it, on that side of the engine, so you don't have to do it again later

Does anyone make a new better fitting down pipe for the Renix? My down pipe keeps hiting the driveshaft which probbaly caused my cracked manifold.

Recently replaced my entire exhaust system. I have an '87. Went with the Pacesetter ceramic coated header, Magnaflow cat, and Dynomax muffler. Paid almost $1000 installed. I have about 2-3k miles on the new set up and I'm still happy with it. Nice sound, not too loud at all. Definite increase in power over @2000 rpm.

I also bought a pacesetter for my renix motor. It had the egr and fit nicely. I later welded up the egr and now I use it on a 93 motor and it fit perfectly there too.

On my '88 I went with a Borla header and a FlowMaster 50 series muffler. I really like the combo, good power and not too loud. The only thing I would do different is; I would coat the header, and maybe the down-pipe, with a ceramic coating to help keep the temp down. The header is a direct fit, no need to switch out the manifold. I don't have any clearance issues with the front driveshaft, and I'm running a 4.5" lift. Good Luck

Borla http://www.borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/1988/Jeep/Cherokee/Header/17010/

Woody

Back