• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rocker replacement * unusual question *

Chris S

NAXJA Forum User
Every tech article I've seen on replacing the rockers with box tubing shows the pinch weld left in place and the new rocker welded to it. While this works well, it dictates how much clearance you can gain. What I want to do is fold the inner piece of metal and pinch weld upward and outward so the pinch weld ends up sitting parallel to the ground and the box steel sits on top of it. I realize this means the pinch weld will get scraped on rocks, but it is well supported.

Any good reason not to do it this way?

The other reason I am thinking of doing it this way is that it appears it will be much simpler, as the differences in spacing to the pinch weld won't matter.

Did you look at http://www.madxj.com/, they three how to articles on rocker replacement. I did the serious high clearence one with the 2x6 3/16 tubing. They require removing the pinch seam completely. I beet the hell out of them and have only scratched them up, no dents. Check out my second linked oic under my sig.

On my 91 there was virtually no pinch seam left so I just grabbed the sawzall and solved that issue. I used 2x4 box steel and a piece of 4" flat stock that I welded to the unibody and the box steel. High clearance and plenty stout. Go for it.

I used 2" by 4" 1/8 tube capped the ends. then I cut the body out from the front fender all the way back. then behind the 2-4 tube I used pieces of 2-2 tube these bolt it to the body then I sealed it with black silicone along the body. I used my grinder and cut the pinch welds off.

Back