• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb question: Xcase vacuum lines

MuddinJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
How are they connected to the motor? My 4x4 hasn't been engaging and its because the vacuum lines aren't tied onto the nipples with anything...will hose clamps suffice?? I just want to make sure that the lines don't pop off again until i can get a one piece shaft in there. Come to think of it, none of the rubber lines in the engine compartment are tied off with anything either...is this a jeep thing, or a bad owner thing? Thanks in advance:)

Three lines in a bundle--red ,green .,blue ,may have a yellow line,IIRC. They run from the transfer case to a junction in the engine compartment near the firewall close to the emissions canister(87 is my example),from there to the shift motor on the axle.The supply line from the reserve tank(blimp) hooks in the line near the same area.
Bad owner thing---
Wayne

When I first bought my old 91 back in 93, I shipped it to Iceland. Well after the bumpy boat ride, I took it for a spin around the base(I was in the military). So I got into some pretty deep snow, and was bogging down, so tried shifting into 4x4, nothing happened except i got stuck:) Anyway, after i got pulled out after a long cold walk(no cell phones then) i drove home. Next day I took it to an old Icelandic machanic, who worked on many jeeps. He found I too had a rubber vacuum harness pop off the vacuum motor on the front axle. He used an old welding rod to wrap around it, but a zip tie would work just as well. By the way it never again left me stranded agian:)

When the lines are new they stretch over the nipples and hold tight.
When they get old and hard they start coming off.
Small nylon wire ties or new hoses are the only thing that will help.

Back