• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home Brew SYE and Ford 8.8 w/front DS

family XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Here's what I have. 93 with the 231 no SYE yet. I got a free ouput shaft and housing from a 02 TJ with a 231.
Question 1.
Can I switch out just the housings?
Question 2.
Or do I need to/can I switch out the Shaft and housing.

Reason is that I want to do a hack and tap and the newer TC is cheaper to convert than the older ones. $100 difference

Next thing is I am getting a 8.8 for $100 with disc's and s limited slip. Will I need a longer or shorter shaft than what I am currently using.

Lastly I searched for the cheap conversion but coulnd't find it. i know someone posted everything they used before but I can't find the link.

Final Question.
Does the 8.8 require a different U joint than the 8.25. I want to get everything ready out of the vehicle so I can install it in one day

My theory, Use new housing with old output shaft. Get Hack and tap for newer housing. Get flange to Use a front D/S, So I only need to carry one spare to fit both. Ideally would be for the 8.8 to use the same U joint as the 8.25 so I don't need to carry an extra U joint.

Sorry for all the questions and confusion. I think that one write up would clarify but I couldn't find it. Thanks for any input you have.

Back