• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ won't start/not even a click part 2

S

spoo76

well My 96 Xj has the same problem as this guy
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87014&highlight=ignition

oddly the wire from the ... i guess coil pack? to the distributor was burned in half not to long ago (mothers day weekend)
and it acted the same

so i changed the plugs wires cap and rotor, and all was fine since then, now i get the same problem as when the wire was burned in half

i have power to radio and all, but nothing happends when i try to start
could the coil pack be bad?

corection... before it did try to turn over.. this time it does nothing, but i do have power to everything else

langer1 said:
No click nothing?
The coil will not prevent the starter from turning.
A bad ground could cause a wire to burn off and no click.

well just checked a bunch of fuses and relays and wires with a meter, all is good so far.. i wonder if its just the NSS?
i cant find the how to ive seen
and NSS in search doesnt work, ima try and spell it out and search

Well I just figured out why mine wouldn't start. The negative battery cable was toast. It appears that after real close inspection the lead connector had a hairline crack in it. Starts like a champ. Man I wish you as good a luck as I had. I cleaned my Neutral Safety Switch first thing and it was a bear to get off but really easy to take apart and clean.

Fixed it yesterday, starter solinoid was bad,
got a whole new starter for about $80 reman

also replaced the blower motor, and cleaned the N.S.S
so now things are as good as new.....other than the loud ass AC clutch lol

How easy is it to change the AC clutch? and where does everyone get cheap compressors with clutches or just clutches?

Back