• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tubing adapters or threaded tubing?

MGrobe

NAXJA Member #968
I am in the process of procuring parts for my steering upgrade. I am constructing my own draglink and tie rod. I wouldn't mind using threaded tubing adapters as they SHOULD be easiest to complete the project. But I do worry a LITTLE ABOUT THEM. I am worried about slop in the threads of the tubing adapters. In researching parts I noticed a post on a few other boards that indicated that the adapters weren't the best choice as far as overall strength and thread tightness.

My XJ still is my daily driver in the Chicago area where the roads can be pretty rough. Any opinions? If for tubing adapters please feel free to recommend a vendor to buy from or to avoid for that matter.

Otherwise I have a ton of machine shops in my area, so I imagine I could find someone to thread the tubing if it is truly the wiser choice.

thread tightness is not the real issue if they are made right, the real problem is getting them welded fully, you have to taper the edges that meet to get full weld penetration, some people even say you should put 2-4 plug welds on them as well, I've had a tie rod for almost 4 years that has the inserts on them with no problems, it's all about the quality of the inserts and how skilled the welder is

agreed ^^, i've read the threaded tubing is stronger becuase the stress put on the welds on adapters is an added weak spot. If you can weld perfectly i don't think it really matter, but i'd opt for threaded tubing.

I have used both and they both work well.

I like threading 1" x .156 wall DOM for 3/4" heims because you don't have to bore the ID, you just feed the tap in slowly on a lathe. I also like this route because the 1" x .156 has a small enough OD that it might clear where 1.25" or 1.5" might not.

Threaded tubing adapters also work well, and if you are a good welder using a good quality tubing adapter, you shouldn't have a problem, but if the tie rod or heim won't go in easily you can chase the threads with a tap.

Hope this helps.
Chris

One more thing to add is that when I have used tubing adapters I have always TIG welded them on because it is stonger and more precise. I am sure people have MIG welded adapters on without problems, but I would not recommend it.

I appreciate the responses so far, keep them coming! I am still wavering on which direction to go with this.

Any threaded bungs known to be of a better quality? I might have to call the machine shop that I have worked with most recently to see what having them thread the tube will cost, might help the decision process a little.

Does anyone have input on the legality of using threaded inserts? I've seen comments stating "not DOT legal"; comments?

What you need be concerned about is the strength of the tube itself, either inserts of threading the tube work, and yes you need to be able to weld well enough to trust your butt to the weld if inserts are used.

We use threaded tubing exclusively for the fact that it requires the use of thicker tube, another something overlooked by many. IMO, .156" wall is not nearly thick enough to last longer than the first solid impact.

Well I am strongly leaning towards the bungs. Prior to ordering them I will contact a local machine shop that I most recently did business with and double-check what they can do for me. Failing that being incredibly reasonable I will drop the coin on the bungs.

Speaking of buying bungs I did quite a bit of searching over this weekend and didn't exactly find an overwhelming amount of suppliers in my size 7/8-18. I might just order them from polyperformance.com assuming a larger vendor like them might carry a better or more consistent product, although they weren't the cheapest I found but that isn't my primary concern.

Anyone know of any other quality product from other vendors in 7/8-18 that you can recommend?

Thanks for the referral Brett.

I'll contact them tomorrow as well. It's a shame I won't know how long of tubing I need at this point for my drag link and tie rod, otherwise I would just get everything in one shot.

Back