• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Bolts Question

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I've been looking for a set of head bolts/studs to replace on my 87 Renix. I went to the dealer and it would cost me about $125 there. Where has everyone else been getting them from? The real deal breaker is the 7 +1 studs that cost about $20 each. Is there an aftermarket source?

Also I've been searching and found that head bolts are to be used only once again. Does that apply to the studs also?

TIA

OEMR head bolts will take TWO torque cycles ONLY - if they aren't painted when you pull them, put paint marks on the heads so you know to toss them next time.

I'm sure there are aftermarket sources - I just don't recall who. A Googling should turn them up.

The bolts are threaded 1/2"-13, and there are measurements in the Tech Archive section of my website.

Note that the studs aren't actually necessary - but the bolts have a different underhead length than the studs, so you'll want to watch that. Also, the rearmost stud is used to attach the engine ground, so if you replace it with a bolt, you'll need to relocate that ground. I haven't found anywhere suitable just yet - but the upper bellhousing bolts are a possibility, once you replace them (measurements for those should be on my site also - you'll need an E12 socket to pull the factory bolts. They'll replace easily with a regular hex head.)

You may also want to check with ARP - they might have a stud that will work neatly. I just haven't taken the time to figure it out just yet...

5-90

SuperRA said:
Thanks, I didn't think of them before. But I see that they set they have listed is for the 258cid (4.2L). Do these engines use the same head bolts?
Thanks

Unfortunately no. Even though the 4.0 of all years and the '72-'80/'87-'90 258 use 1/2" head bolts, they're not the same length.

www.headbolts.com has an unnamed set for $40, anyone have any experience with these?

Dunno but if the bolts on this page are the ones you're looking at, they should do fine.

Ok, from what I can tell, my original bolts consist of two styles.

7 - Bolts (inside valve cover)
7 - Bolts with smaller stud protruding from bolt head (outside valve cover)

The dealer says I need

2 - part# J4007307 @ $2.10ea
7 - Part# J4007308 @ $4.70ea
4 - part# J4007310 @ $19.50ea
1 - part# J4007311 @ $9.85ea

I don't know why the funny combination of bolts. And I definitely don't know if I'll know where they'll all go.

Anyhow, I ordered the 4.0L set from www.headbolts.com and I'll report once I receive them. They said the bolts are exactly like OEM so we'll see.

the 7 are the out side bolts
the 2 are the front and rear bolts inside (they have a nipple on them)
the 4 and 1 are for the inside 5, but i dont know what the one different is

Back